Make haveged optional

Raki72

Hi!

Starting /sbin/haveged takes 4-5 minutes on my server. I know how to start / stop this service _after_ reboot, but I want to disable it entirely, so it's not taking all the time during boot.

It is not generating added (randon number entropy) benefit for my server. The usual Linux randnom number generator is good enough for me. So the waiting time during a reboot is just painful for me.

I haven't found a way to disable the service permanently. If it exists, then any advise here would be great. If not, I'd like to request that this Services will be made optional through the GUI in future releases.

Thanks!

Regards

Raki72

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 1:28 PM, Raki72 said:

Hi!

Starting /sbin/haveged takes 4-5 minutes on my server. I know how to start / stop this service _after_ reboot, but I want to disable it entirely, so it's not taking all the time during boot.

It is not generating added (randon number entropy) benefit for my server. The usual Linux randnom number generator is good enough for me. So the waiting time during a reboot is just painful for me.

I haven't found a way to disable the service permanently. If it exists, then any advise here would be great. If not, I'd like to request that this Services will be made optional through the GUI in future releases.

Thanks!

Regards

Raki72

Agreed 100%.  I don't need to reboot my server that often, but when tinkering with VMs it becomes a necessity.  Waiting for this service drives me mental!

• 4 weeks later...
# ------------------------------------------------- 
# disable haveged as we trust /dev/random 
# https://forums.unraid.net/topic/79616-haveged-daemon/?tab=comments#comment-903452 
# ------------------------------------------------- 
/etc/rc.d/rc.haveged stop

I have this in the go file, and works great for me. But i'm not sure if this will stop the boot delay, as i don't have that issue.

Edited by SiNtEnEl
fix formatting.
  • 6 months later...