How do I clear/flush the cache drive?


Recommended Posts

In share settings I set "Use cache (for new files/directories):" to Yes/Preferred (forgot which one, I keep changing to test them out). 
I pressed mover button. It says beside Yes/Preferred "Mover transfers files from array to cache". My cache drive now has files from my array which makes sense.

How do I clear the files from the cache drive or flush the cache drive? It's currently at 100%.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Koromochii said:

Yes/Preferred "Mover transfers files from array to cache"

Yes and Preferred are sort of opposite. Yes transfers files from cache to array. Preferred transfers files from array to cache.

 

Since you seem to have made a mistake with this, if you post your diagnostics we can give more detailed advice about how to fix this and how to use cache in general.

 

Tools - Diagnostics, attach complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

Link to comment
Just now, trurl said:

Yes and Preferred are sort of opposite. Yes transfers files from cache to array. Preferred transfers files from array to cache.

 

Since you seem to have made a mistake with this, if you post your diagnostics we can give more detailed advice about how to fix this and how to use cache in general.

 

Tools - Diagnostics, attach complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

Ya I was playing around with yes/preferred and wanted to see what it does.

 

oh so if set it back to YES and use mover it will move it back to the array and clear the cache drive?

 

 

Link to comment

Here is the diagnostics.

I have over 1TB of files in my array and the cache drive is 1TB so it just transferred everything into the cache drive when I set it to preferred and use "Mover".

I want to clear the cache drive 1TB and set it up so that when I transfer files it'll use the cache drive instead of directly transferring to the array.

syslog.txt

Edited by Koromochii
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, Koromochii said:

one of the steps was to shut down. Not sure if it's affected.

Better to not reboot before getting diagnostics if you can help it because syslog is reset when you reboot and syslog is included in diagnostics. But since you already posted syslog earlier I guess we have that.

 

Unfortunately, you got the diagnostics without starting the array, so no disks are mounted and neither are user shares, and those are exactly what I was hoping to see from diagnostics.

 

I usually put it like this with new users:

Quote

If possible before rebooting and preferably with the array started
Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

and I guess I should have taken the trouble to do it this time as well.

Link to comment
20 minutes ago, trurl said:

with the array started
Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

Done

In Share settings I set "Use cache (for new files/directories):" back to "Yes". I also pressed "Mover" and it looks like the cache drive is slowly getting more space. But the array is also increasing. Maybe it's making another copy to each file to the array. I'll have to see later if that's the case.

steinsgate-diagnostics-20210110-2358.zip

Link to comment

Your appdata, domains, and system shares are cache-prefer, as they should be, so their files will try to be on cache. But they currently have files on the array, and mover can't move open files. You will have to go to Settings and disable Docker and VM Manager and run mover again to get those moved to cache where they belong.

 

 

Link to comment
9 hours ago, trurl said:

Your appdata, domains, and system shares are cache-prefer, as they should be, so their files will try to be on cache. But they currently have files on the array, and mover can't move open files. You will have to go to Settings and disable Docker and VM Manager and run mover again to get those moved to cache where they belong.

 

 

I think I fixed it, thanks. The cache drive is pretty empty now.

Set my share settings of "Use cache (for new files/directories):" to "Yes"
appdata, domains, iso, and system shares are cache-prefer. I didn't have VM so I didn't disable it, but I did disable Docker and enabled it back this morning after the mover ran overnight.
 

Link to comment
4 hours ago, trurl said:

Your cache drive should have system share on it if dockers were ever enabled, and it should also have appdata on it for each of your dockers.

 

Post new diagnostics

Here is the new diagnostics. I think it looks good now.

I'm testing the transfer speeds of with and without cache drive and the speed is 113MB/s with and without cache drive. Is this expected?
I'm using a nvme 1TB drive, I'm expecting higher transfer speeds.

Does the cache drive only make it a sustain 113MB/s? it's not dropping in speed even for a big transfers of 10GB+

steinsgate-diagnostics-20210111-1624.zip

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Koromochii said:


Does the cache drive only make it a sustain 113MB/s? it's not dropping in speed even for a big transfers of 10GB+

steinsgate-diagnostics-20210111-1624.zip 95.92 kB · 0 downloads

I found this 

1000Mbit (Gigabit Ethernet LAN)

100 MB/sec   

6 GB/minute

 

I think I'm getting only 113MB/s because I'm bottlenecked by my network. So in theory, it doesn't matter if my cache drive is a ssd or an nvme because it'll get bottlenecked by the network at 100MB/s anyways. 

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Koromochii said:

I found this 

1000Mbit (Gigabit Ethernet LAN)

100 MB/sec   

6 GB/minute

 

I think I'm getting only 113MB/s because I'm bottlenecked by my network. So in theory, it doesn't matter if my cache drive is a ssd or an nvme because it'll get bottlenecked by the network at 100MB/s anyways. 

Cache drive and array drive is in the same computer so network speed doesn't have any affect on it.   More likely is that you are overloading your SSD/NVMe drive's onboard cache which then reduces write speed to the actual write throughput of the drive.

 

Unless I'm misunderstanding where you're moving data to the cache drive from, or vice versa.

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Energen said:

Cache drive and array drive is in the same computer so network speed doesn't have any affect on it.   More likely is that you are overloading your SSD/NVMe drive's onboard cache which then reduces write speed to the actual write throughput of the drive.

 

Unless I'm misunderstanding where you're moving data to the cache drive from, or vice versa.

I'm talking about my gaming pc transferring files to the unraid NAS (different computer) through windows file explorer. It looks like the max speed I can get is 113MB/s even though the nvme (cache drive) can have 3500MB/s read and 3000MB/s writes. This is due to the network being gigabit ethernet the max speed I can transfer is 100MB/s even though the nvme can write at 3000MB/s. I'm new to all this so I didn't expect there to be a bottleneck of 100MB/s on my network when I bought the nvme, I should have bought a regular ssd instead to save a few bucks.

Edited by Koromochii
Link to comment
  • 1 year later...

@trurl Hi, I'm a "newbee" here...I noticed a warning today that my cache disk is almost full.  Should this be something to be concerned about?  Or, is this dynamic - meaning it will remove files from cache overtime and they get "stale"?

 

image.png.7a8e47a6c6137229781498ca080475ba.png

 

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.