[SOLVED] Can not start VM - "Address already in use"

Jaster

Hi Guys,

this keeps happening with different VMs

image.thumb.png.8c6df10f54b773868e22151e0310333a.pngRandomly, trying to start a VM this message pops up. If I restart some running VMs I can start also the one which would not start before and the issue is gone. Super annoying and keeps happening :(

Edited by Jaster

@Jaster I bet you copied the xml of a running VM and used it for other VMs. Default entry for a none running VM for VNC looks something like the following:

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='de'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>

The "port" option is set to auto and counts up with each new VM you start. If you hardcode a value in, it tries to use that port and if in use by another VM you get that error.

If I look into a the same xml from that VM while online it looks like the following:

<graphics type='vnc' port='5903' autoport='yes' websocket='5703' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='de'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>

This is the 4th VM on my system which uses VNC and therefore it got port 5903 starting with 5900.

If you need some fixed ports, try to use higher values depending an the amount of VMs you're using to prenvent conflicts and set the rest of the VMs to auto like it's shown on the first screenshot. Make sure your keymap is for your language.

• Like 1