Disabled disk, replacement claims to be too small.

iarp

2AM last night just as mover was about to start disk3 decides to have a ton of read and write errors. I have 2 drives spare sitting there waiting to be used for such an occasion.

• Original Disabled Drive: WDC_WD20EARX
  • One swappable drive: WDC_WD20EARX which has been precleared months ago
  • Second swappable drive: WDC_WD20EFRX which has not been precleared

I would like to use the ERFX drive which is a 2TB red drive. It had an NTFS partition on it beforehand but I used Unassigned Devices to delete the partitions. The Red drive is currently sitting there under Unassigned Devices with the Preclear and Format buttons available to use, however using Format doesn't fix size somehow.

When I select the precleared and ready to go EARX the array says "Replacement disk installed."

When I select the Red drive, the array says "Replacement disk is too small."

Ah ha. Thank you. I have run the hdparm command as per that post and it now reads

/dev/sdh:
 max sectors   = 3907029168/3907029168, HPA is disabled

I also restarted after running the command and now when I add the drive in the webui it says replacement disk installed.

Just wanting to double check that that should be good enough to start the rebuild?

Edit: also to add, just double checked bios and there is no one option that mentions bios saving, backup, rescue..etc.

Edit2: Rebuilding, thanks again for your help

Edited by iarp