Crazy slow Array Disk 2 speed

Hi Team.

I'm fairly new to unRAID, got about 6 days left on my free trial.

Today I thought I was having a network speed issue as I copied a file at a crazily slow 3.3 MB/s.  Yep, a 2.7GB file took 14 minutes to transfer 😞

However it looks like the problem is with Drive 2 in my array (I only have 2 drives +parity +cache).

Read & write to cache drive is 97-112 MB/s.  So I know the network is not the issue here. 

I moved a file that is located on Disk 1 of the array to my PC.  It transferred at 107 MB/s.

Tried with another file that is on Disk 2 of the array.  Transfer of 2.4MB/s 😞

Also noticed that when pulling files from Disk 2, the CPU usage is high, with multiple threads hitting 100%, and overall CPU value of 50-76%.  CPU is an i3-2100 running at 3.1 GHz.

Drive 2 SMART status shows as healthy, and disk 2 is showing a temp of 35C.  Disk 1 is also 35C, and the Parity drive is showing 29C.

Last parity check was 2 weeks ago, and all was good.

My question is, how do I troubleshoot this?  Is there something I can do to test the drive (a 4TB Seagate green that had seemed to be functioning normally before being installed in the unRAID box)?

20 minutes ago, MediaMaan said:

My question is, how do I troubleshoot this?  Is there something I can do to test the drive (a 4TB Seagate green that had seemed to be functioning normally before being installed in the unRAID box)?

I tries stopping the array and running the SMART short test on the drive.  It had passed this test prior to further data being added to the array after it was installed.

Presently, it is getting stuck at 90%.  After 15 minutes I cancelled the test.  I think that means there is a problem with drive 2.  Is that correct?

1 hour ago, MediaMaan said:

Hi Team.

I'm fairly new to unRAID, got about 6 days left on my free trial.

Today I thought I was having a network speed issue as I copied a file at a crazily slow 3.3 MB/s.  Yep, a 2.7GB file took 14 minutes to transfer 😞

However it looks like the problem is with Drive 2 in my array (I only have 2 drives +parity +cache).

Read & write to cache drive is 97-112 MB/s.  So I know the network is not the issue here. 

I moved a file that is located on Disk 1 of the array to my PC.  It transferred at 107 MB/s.

Tried with another file that is on Disk 2 of the array.  Transfer of 2.4MB/s 😞

Also noticed that when pulling files from Disk 2, the CPU usage is high, with multiple threads hitting 100%, and overall CPU value of 50-76%.  CPU is an i3-2100 running at 3.1 GHz.

Drive 2 SMART status shows as healthy, and disk 2 is showing a temp of 35C.  Disk 1 is also 35C, and the Parity drive is showing 29C.

Last parity check was 2 weeks ago, and all was good.

Install the "DiskSpeed" Docker and see, if the Disk has some "slowdowns"

Edited by Zonediver
3 hours ago, Zonediver said:

Install the "DiskSpeed" Docker and see, if the Disk has some "slowdowns"

Ok, gave this a try.  Disk 2 definitely showing some serious slowdowns.  Slowest speed seems to be at the beginning of the drive.  It starts at 29MB/s and drops to 7.46MB/s at 400GB, then ramps up to 150 MB/s at 800GB, and declines to 71.6 MB/s at the end of the drive with a few minor up & down bumps along the way.

In comparisons, the 2 x 10TB drives start at 250 MB/s and slowly decline to 115 & 122 MB/s respectively by their end.

I assume the major slowdown at the start of the drive is cause for serious concern, and warrants the replacing of the disk?

If that is the case, do I remove it from the array, then used Unassigned Devices to relocate the data onto my main 10TB drive?

10 hours ago, MediaMaan said:

Ok, gave this a try.  Disk 2 definitely showing some serious slowdowns.  Slowest speed seems to be at the beginning of the drive.  It starts at 29MB/s and drops to 7.46MB/s at 400GB, then ramps up to 150 MB/s at 800GB, and declines to 71.6 MB/s at the end of the drive with a few minor up & down bumps along the way.

In comparisons, the 2 x 10TB drives start at 250 MB/s and slowly decline to 115 & 122 MB/s respectively by their end.

I assume the major slowdown at the start of the drive is cause for serious concern, and warrants the replacing of the disk?

If that is the case, do I remove it from the array, then used Unassigned Devices to relocate the data onto my main 10TB drive?

This is called "weak sectors".

A problem with the surface of the platter itself - i had this problem 2x with HDDs from WD (3 & 4TB WD-RED).

All you can do is kick the Disk and use a new one 👍

Edited by Zonediver
18 hours ago, Zonediver said:

This is called "weak sectors".

A problem with the surface of the platter itself - i had this problem 2x with HDDs from WD (3 & 4TB WD-RED).

All you can do is kick the Disk and use a new one 👍

Thanks for the confirmation.  Picked up a new 10TB disk today to replace it with.

Just running a sector scan on it now (will take a good 17 hours or so).

Hopefully will get the system fully functional again in next few days 🙂

9 hours ago, MediaMaan said:

Thanks for the confirmation.  Picked up a new 10TB disk today to replace it with.

Just running a sector scan on it now (will take a good 17 hours or so).

Hopefully will get the system fully functional again in next few days 🙂

...hope it too 👍

Edited by Zonediver
  • Like 1