Docker containers disappear on restart

tigerdoc

Hi, all.

Thanks in advance for the help. I did a search and couldn't find anything really the same, so I'm left asking for help. And I've noticed this behavior for some time (at least a couple of years), but finally annoyed enough to try to fix it.

Every time I shut down my server, I lose my docker containers. On restart, I just see a blank screen under dockers. I can reasonably quickly add them back using the existing templates, and the appdata remain, but I have to do this manually each time. Thankfully that isn't very often, but still not the best (like when I woke up this morning and realized I didn't get a nightly backup complete email and remembered I needed to reinstall the containers after yesterday's restart).

Anonymous diagnostics attached for anyone willing to take a look. And I'm happy to answer any questions.

Help is greatly appreciated.

TD

tardis-diagnostics-20210112-0832.zip

I don't think this should be related to any of your problems but I notice you have Capitalized Appdata and System shares. You must be very careful with this going forward since Linux is case-sensitive.

The default config for VM Manager, which you don't currently have enabled, specifies system instead of System, for example.

Even more important, many of the docker templates will default to appdata instead of Appdata. If you already had several dockers working I assume you must have noticed this.

I didn't see anything like this in your diagnostics, but you might take a look at your User Shares and just make sure these shares don't exist in both upper and lower case.

Thanks, @trurl. I hadn't thought of that being an issue, but you're right, all my shares are capitalized, without any lower-case duplicates. All the docker containers point to Appdata (not appdata). Aside from VMs, would anything else point to system vs System? If not, I suppose I could just rename the shares and edit the docker containers. Or I could leave as is.

@JorgeB, I hadn't noticed those errors. Thank you for catching. I compressed-air dusted all the drives and connectors. Maybe that did it, because on restart, the containers are back. Attached is the latest diag file. At least some of the SATA errors remain, though. For reference, the two disks you pointed to are parity and cache, the latter of which is where the docker file is.

tardis-diagnostics-20210112-1016.zip

5 hours ago, trurl said:

The default config for VM Manager, which you don't currently have enabled, specifies system instead of System

You can edit those default settings if you ever setup VM Manager.

5 hours ago, tigerdoc said:

Aside from VMs, would anything else point to system vs System?

As for anything else, pay careful attention to all paths and make sure they match the upper/lower case you intend to use.

On 1/12/2021 at 11:27 AM, JorgeB said:

If the SATA cable doesn't fix it swap power with another disk, parity isn't even given a valid SMART report, it could also be the disk if cables don't help.

Replaced all 6 SATA cables in the case. New diags attached.

For reference

ATA3 = sdd = spare disk not in array. (I read incorrectly yesterday when I concluded that was parity. Parity is ATA5 [sdf].)

ATA4 = sde = cache disk.

tardis-diagnostics-20210113-1757.zip

39 minutes ago, trurl said:

Looks like the problems are on unassigned sdd now. Is everything else working OK?

Well, the only symptom I noticed before was that docker containers would disappear on restart and this time they stayed and restarted (the ones with autostart turned on anyway). I'll call it a win.

Thanks to @JorgeB and @trurl for the help!

• Like 1