Running Multiple of the same Container

brent3000

So in short I would like to run multiple instances of a single docker image (having multiple copies of the same docker)

Now i read online and already have the 'use as template' for one of them and it works fine, however when the docker update comes around, it seems to break the dockers needing both to be updated or if on updates, it breaks the other until the duplicate is also updated.

First, is this normal when running multiple of the same container for them to both need updates at the same time and one be broken untill both are updated?

Second, is the setup for running multiple docker still the 'add container' and then use as template?

4 hours ago, brent3000 said:

Second, is the setup for running multiple docker still the 'add container' and then use as template?

Yes, or alternatively via Apps (enable re-install default in its Settings), then from installed apps do a reinstall default, change the name etc.

4 hours ago, brent3000 said:

updates at the same time and one be broken untill both are updated?

Yes, because the layers wind up being shared between the two instances.  Alternatively, you can "tag" the apps to use one of the available tags (click the icon and then select more info to see what tags are available), but then at that point, you're forcing the app to stay on a specific version, so you lose updates.

Thanks for that squid,

8 hours ago, Squid said:

enable re-install default in its Settings

Would this mean the whole docker image etc is installed twice aka i assume the worst thing about this is it would possibly consume more space vs the other methods? (i would guess it would make installs abit smaller with the 'shared' sections?)

8 hours ago, Squid said:

you can "tag" the apps to use one of the available tags

Sorry i cant fine a 'tag' section? is this meant to be in the docker section or the individual docker settings?