[SOLVED] Gigabyte to MSI motherboard = blank screen on reboot

Hello all,

I've upgraded my Gigabyte Z490m motherboard to an MSI Z490.

Everything was working fine, however since the change whenever I reboot, I get a blank screen, no flashing cursor, no bios, nothing. If I restart and enter the bios however, make no changes and then exit and continue to boot, UNRAID starts with no issues.

I have checked the bios and UEFI boot is selected (I've tried without also however makes no difference). My UNRAID usb is set to boot via UEFI.

On a side note, I did have an MSI GTX 760 passed through to a VM, however as the new MB does not have any video out capability, I have moved the card to a bottom slot and will use for bios access. I have an MSI 3090 coming tomorrow and would really like to iron out this minor setback beforehand. 

I've looked on several pages with similar issues, however nothing seems to fix it. Would changing my UNRAID USB from UEFI to Legacy help, and if so is it a simple matter of putting "-" after EFI in the folder name on the USB? 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by LoneTraveler
  • ytddewqf changed the title to Gigabyte to MSI motherboard = blank screen on reboot (diagnostics attached)

sorry have not got an answer for the issue, I am having the same issue with my recent built on B460, first reboot-unraid is fine subsequent reboots shows a blank screen and unraid server does not come up, unless until I go into BIOS do nothing save and exit

what i can add is i had initially set USB to non UEFI and it ddin't boot into unraid at all, i had to change it to UEFI to atleast get first unraid boot but reboot same problem occurs

Edited by unraid_2021
1 hour ago, unraid_2021 said:

sorry have not got an answer for the issue, I am having the same issue with my recent built on B460, first reboot-unraid is fine subsequent reboots shows a blank screen and unraid server does not come up, unless until I go into BIOS do nothing save and exit

what i can add is i had initially set USB to non UEFI and it ddin't boot into unraid at all, i had to change it to UEFI to atleast get first unraid boot but reboot same problem occurs

I'm sure I read that both the bios needs to be put into non-UEFI mode (in my case CSM) as well as the UNRAID USB being altered by way of editing the "EFI" folder on the stick to "EFI-", however I am yet to try this until someone can confirm. 

On a side note, UNRAID will boot for me if I physically power off the machine and switch it back on, I don't need to enter the bios, which beforehand I believed I needed to do. Unfortunately however, rebooting still brings me to a blank screen and no UNRAID. 

so I tried some settings on my MSI B460 Torpedo motherboard which looks like fixed the issue i have tried multiple reboots from webUI and unraid is starting up correctly without going to BIOS. 

1. click settings 

image.thumb.png.db165c1abea99cb7bfe876d9823f8c6d.png

2 Access Advanced

image.thumb.png.6dee03004a2a3bb410f20ccb61dec4f1.png

3 Power Mgmt Setup

image.thumb.png.dc9840eae790246cc0cc718cea45bc8b.png

4. DTM - I changed it to Enabled

image.thumb.png.9e03df092c870f23cdc9fa46a7762892.png

image.thumb.png.52a4b8e369a59bab0934b69adb62b327.png

5 Save changes and reboot
image.thumb.png.c02c7d6f0557aee638b79ce0155a4b50.png

image.thumb.png.e67573e20cb813db47bd27804bd70040.png

this did the trick for me. Why this approach work I don't know may be someone can throw some light on it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • ytddewqf changed the title to [SOLVED] Gigabyte to MSI motherboard = blank screen on reboot
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...