UnRaid ECC Errors

binar

Greetings Fellow Forum Members,

My old file server is a RAID6 system which uses a LSI 3ware 9750 Controller Card.  Currently, the 3Ware 3DM2 GUI software is telling me I have a degraded hard drive error and after doing a very long rebuild process I got an ECC error.  In short, it's the reason why I'm migrating all of the data contained in my old RAID6 system over to my new UnRaid array system.

My question is simple.  Does the UnRaid system also have problems with "degraded hard drives" and "ECC errors"?  And is the UnRaid OS advanced enough to fix such errors by running a rebuild process?  Lastly, if my UnRaid OS in the future warns me about an ECC error, does it mean I have lost data?  Or does the UnRaid OS protect against data loss if an ECC error appears in my future? Thanks for your time.

First thing is that you need to post up your Diagnostics file    Tools   >>>  Diagnostics   Two things about doing this.  First, post it in a new post.  Second try to make sure that it spans a time period when the problem(s) occurred.

Normally, ECC errors are errors that have been detected in computers equipped with ECC memory (RAM).   They are normally not associated with hard disk problems.  These errors should not cause problems with the data on the array.  (That is why one uses ECC memory in the first place.)

On 1/14/2021 at 12:54 PM, binar said:

My question is simple.  Does the UnRaid system also have problems with "degraded hard drives" and "ECC errors"?  And is the UnRaid OS advanced enough to fix such errors by running a rebuild process?  Lastly, if my UnRaid OS in the future warns me about an ECC error, does it mean I have lost data?  Or does the UnRaid OS protect against data loss if an ECC error appears in my future? Thanks for your time.

I won't say Unraid advance then others, those are two different implement, both have their cons pros. And no system can guarantee error free or no data lost.  Just you buy which one.

Edited by Vr2Io