Forum Release Update

SpencerJ

Hello Unraid community,

The Unraid forum is now on Invision Community v4.5.4.2. You also might have noticed a UI update as part of this upgrade sequence. 

During the update process, we received reports of low forum latency which had to do with an internal server slowdown issue. This issue should be resolved now. Thank you to everyone who reached out to report this.

If you are experiencing any other forum related issues, please post them in Forum Feedback or you can also reach out to me directly.

I hope you all have a great day!

-Spencer

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, SpencerJ said:

(Keep yer shirt on @Hoopster😜

I had forgotten about that episode.  Yes, I generally keep my shirt on so as not to scare any women, children or people with sensitive eyes who may be in the vicinity.

You could have chosen a different thread for your example in order to preserve what little dignity I have left! 😁

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

I saw the mention of the sidebar on the new menu, but I do not have it on screen.

I tried several things with no succes.  :/ 

• various options on the menu
  • looked in the forum options
  • disabled all ad or script block extension

Not sure what I am missing.

There seems to be a minimum message in the thread limit before the sidebar shows up. For example, if you go here, do you not see the sidebar @ChatNoir?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BRiT said:

@SpencerJ

How do I fix whats broken in the Unread Activity? It used to display a thread only once, but now its utterly messed up and displays the thread multiple times.

Notice how the thread "Neuer Server... würde mich über Beratung/Tipps freuen..." shows up so many time.

Screenshot_20210114-180612_Chrome.jpg

I'll look into this. It's showing new comments on the same thread. 

I think this was considered an "improvement" by IPS.  They now show every individual new post as opposed to just showing you what threads have had recent activity.  So you can see that the first instance in your list is referencing apost from Saeros, but the second instance references a post from mgutt.  I will ask IPS if there is a way to change this back to how it was before or if there is a toggleable option for users to get it back to the way it used to be.

1 hour ago, jonp said:

I think this was considered an "improvement" by IPS.  They now show every individual new post as opposed to just showing you what threads have had recent activity.  So you can see that the first instance in your list is referencing apost from Saeros, but the second instance references a post from mgutt.  I will ask IPS if there is a way to change this back to how it was before or if there is a toggleable option for users to get it back to the way it used to be.

Thanks.  It's not an improvement in my view.  It may depend how one uses the Unread Items list, but I use it just to quickly scan for any topics that I am interested in or where I may be able to help out.  The new arrangement just makes it very much harder to spot things, and if one only looks every two or three days then the list also becomes unnecessarily long.  I can see that for someone actively supporting a number of threads, the new method may be useful in tracking the levels of activity and determining where to focus.  

Edited by S80_UK
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Before the update there was a different new content icon for threads you posted before both on the forum and on streams, now it doesn't appear on streams:

Still OK in the normal forum view

image.png.652342f8543c5751041da2e96a515917.png

Not in any stream:

image.png.f9207584870d4c8c67d0fc500cf959fd.png

Are you talking about the small orange star?

On the sub-forums, if I remember correctly, there was 6 possibility before:

• no icon = no new content
  • white hollow bubble/tooltip icon = new content
  • grey solid bubble = topic you already posted in without new content
  • white solid bubble = topic you already posted in with new content
  • grey star = popular topic
  • white star = popular topic with new content

If I understand the new UI, we are left with :

• no icon = no new content
  • orange circle = new content
  • grey star = topics you already posted on without new content ?
  • orange star = topics you already posted on with new content ?

Looks like the icon changed and was replaced by something that had another meaning before ? Not super intuitive.

For the Unread content (that I am not using), I think that people complain that there is no difference between posts you already posted on and the others.

@SpencerJ in general i like the upgrade, the sidebar is interesting, but for me as a docker developer and having multiple threads to support, its missing one key feature that i would ABSOLUTELY love, and that is the ability to mark a particular post in a thread as sticky (obviously only created of the thread should be allowed to do this), and have this sticky post shown on the new sidebar (or even at the top of the thread).

This would make my life (and im sure a lot of other unraid developers lives) a lot easier, as i could sticky important posts for the general community, for example sticky a note with links to my github repo with documentation, this would save me from the grinding task of copying and pasting the same link to github over and over and over and over, any chance this could be looked into?.

Do this for me, and i will love you long time 🙂

Edited by binhex
3 minutes ago, binhex said:

@SpencerJ in general i like the upgrade, the sidebar is interesting, but for me as a docker developer and having multiple threads to support, its missing one key feature that i would ABSOLUTELY love, and that is the ability to mark a particular post in a thread as sticky (obviously only created of the thread should be allowed to do this), and have this sticky post shown on the new sidebar (or even at the top of the thread).

This would make my life (and im sure a lot of other unraid developers lives) a lot easier, as i could sticky important posts for the general community, for example sticky a note with links to my github repo with documentation, this would save me from the grinding task of copying and pasting the same link to github over and over and over and over, any chance this could be looked into?.

Do this for me, and i will love you long time 🙂

Hey @binhex! You can do this by selecting Options on a particular post and clicking the "Recommend" button on. This will sticky that post at the top of the thread.

Is this what you are looking for? 

Awaiting long time love.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.19.05 AM.png

3 minutes ago, SpencerJ said:

You can do this by selecting Options on a particular post and clicking the "Recommend" button on. This will sticky that post at the top of the thread.

oooo you had me hot under the collar there for a minute 🙂 , but sadly i dont have that option 😞

image.png.59e2520daaa3cfe1098885129fac10e0.png

can this option be enabled pretty please, then i def give you long time love ;-)

5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Yes, no difference if it's a thread you already posted or not, there was before.

I have a ticket in with them and will let you know what they say.

This probably isn't exactly what you want but in the Unread section, you can toggle/filter content by "Content I have posted in". I will let you know what they say in response to this change and if it can be fixed.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 2.13.54 PM.png

Sadly they still did not boost the code formatting.

I mean a loading circle for a simple textarea with optional formatting and this while I'm writing in a WYSIQYG Editor without any loading time?!

1215432243_2021-01-1601_33_30-ForumReleaseUpdate-Announcements-Unraid-PersnlichMicrosoftEdge.thumb.png.5ae905ceec04ccbb157840c79d5658eb.png

And the code view is still a problem on smaller devices as IPS do not use nowrap, which causes misinterpreting the code. Example:

Correct:

785690183_2021-01-1601_37_17-Z490(VisionG)FanSensors-MotherboardsandCPUs-Unraidund1weitereSeite.thumb.png.8810bc36ddf04a89cb256fd42667aa8d.png

Wrong:

994526103_2021-01-1601_36_54-Z490(VisionG)FanSensors-MotherboardsandCPUs-Unraidund1weitereSeite.png.dd937c0b8b8cd17a30d4ccfe49b7c0c9.png

P.S. still waiting for an option to completely disable the code formatting ;)

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Another small issue, after approving a new user's first post and getting back to unread/all activity feed it still appears as unread, need to click on it again to be marked as read, this didn't happen before, it was marked as read after approving.

You don't find that as an improvement, along with all the other brokenness?

• Haha 1
On 1/14/2021 at 3:06 PM, BRiT said:

@SpencerJ

How do I fix whats broken in the Unread Activity? It used to display a thread only once, but now its utterly messed up and displays the thread multiple times.

Notice how the thread "Neuer Server... würde mich über Beratung/Tipps freuen..." shows up so many time.

Screenshot_20210114-180612_Chrome.jpg

Update: Still awaiting a response from Invision. Apparently this is an advanced, complex request, according to them...

Hello,
After reviewing your request, we have determined that it is going to require further investigation by our advanced support/development team. 

I have escalated your request to that department and they will provide further assistance as quickly as possible. Due to the advanced nature of your request, please note that it may take longer than usual to fully address your concern. Please also note that advanced support is only available Monday through Friday. I apologize in advance for this delay.