Windows 10 vm install loop

Hi, I set up my first Unraid some weeks ago and followed many of Spaceinvader's videos. I think I understand the different concepts. How to correctly choose the right CPU-threads, how to pass-through your graphics-card - and yes my system is IOMMU-ready - but still I have had soooo many issues setting up my first VM - it always results in a black screen. However, it seems like my monitor detects when the VM is supposed to start. Anyway, some people suggested that you start setting up your VM with the VNC GPU instead. Thankfully, I can now see that something is happening but know I have a whole new issue. I type in the product key, install the files to the primary disk, and then Windows 10 tells me it will have to restart itself to finish the installation. The problem is that it restarts the whole process - then I have to type in my product key again, install etc. - and it seems to be an infinite loop as of now. Ideally, I would like to install the Windows OS onto my NVME. Therefore, you see, I have passed through this drive in the VM setup. I also tried to use a vDisk instead, and that didn't solve the issue. You see that I also tried to assign a single CPU-thread on these screen-shots since Spaceinvader suggested this could solve an installation problem, but that didn't help either.

Thanks,

Jakob

unraid1.PNG

unraid2.PNG

unraid3.PNG

• 11 months later...

I hope that you are well. I know that this was posted essentially a year ago but I have been dealing with similar issues. I utilized a more recent spaceinvaderone video to look at passing through an entire drive that is an ssd... Endless loop is where I have been for a considerable amount of time. I ended up removing the primary vdrive reference which was auto filled and switched it to manual and mapped my entire drive name like: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_860_EVO (pic attached/embedded / not sure how it will show up) . With this modification - I was able to boot directly from one of the failed install loops/ could restart and install but it stuck. I am a whopping 2 hours into this new config so dont know if it will stick but was able to properly setup windows 10 user accounts and so forth. Best of luck!

Im in a similar situation. I think an updated tutorial from spaceinvader is required for 2022. Im extremely frustrated that I have been unable to get  windows VM to work, after literally making myself insane going through all the steps on supported tutorials over a dozen times... As this was the deciding reason i went with unraid. I am starting to think of just giving unraid the flick.  I might post one more time to see if anyone could be kind enough to provide any insight, failing that i think ill tap out. 

• 2 weeks later...