I searched first! Really! Unraid says some or all files unprotected on shares that do not use cache. Parity is good.

So I am wondering what is going on? I have a few shares, some are green, others have the unprotected warning. The share "Unraid Main" (see screenshot) doesn't even use cache currently because it's just a giant movie collection. How can I fix this? I mean, really I would like to protect all of my shares, if that's possible. In my search I saw that if files are on cache they aren't protected until mover does it's thing, but as noted, not using cache.Unprotected.thumb.PNG.2a35ff7e8619e446e0445c20ef9e843f.PNG

tower-diagnostics-20210116-0624.zip

Edited by Hydranmenace
Added Diagnostics.zip

Yes but I turned it off, still says they are unprotected. Mover isn't moving things off the cache to the array, or something like that. I have a pretty small array compared to a lot of people on here. Just about 10 tb now since I added one more drive. But when I try to move things to the array from my windows pc it errors out saying I don't have enough free space, because the cache is full (I'm assuming there, but I don't know what else to think).

Should have been more clear. I had cache on. I ran mover. I turned cache off. Unraid continued to tell me that the share was unprotected and there was data on the cache. I believe I solved my issue by just doing it a second time. Turned cache back on and again ran mover. It went "green" and was protected after that. So thank you, your advice was correct. I must have just done something out of order or incorrectly the first time.

Related question. I notice that when I have cache on -I should note I have only a single 250gb cache drive here- if I move a lot of files to the array and the cache gets filled up windows will insist that the smb share is full, even though with the data drives I had something like 10tb allocated to the share. If I then run mover to clear the cache I can continue moving files to the array. I thought that cache would fill up and anything beyond cache would "spill over" to the array without interrupting the transfer. Why does windows only see the size of the cache as being total storage available for that share? Is there a setting I should change? 

What do you have set as then”Minimum Free Space” setting for both the cache and the shares in question.    These settings are important to stop Unraid selecting a drive in the first place for any particular file as once selected you will get an out of space error if the file does not fit on the selected drive.   Ideally you want these settings to be larger that the size of the largest file you intend to transfer.

Min free space for the share is at 0kb. I can't find that setting for just the cache drive. I only see "Warning Disk Utilization Threshold" and "Critical Disk Utilization Threshold". Nothing about Min Free Space. Im going to the "Main" tab and clicking on "Cache" under Cache Devices. Should I be looking somewhere else? The largest files I generally transfer are probably roughly 4gb iso images. Most of what I am moving is 2gb or less. I'm just moving so much at once cache gets filled up fast. Then I have to pause, run mover, then resume the transfer. Or turn cache off for the share.

2 minutes ago, Hydranmenace said:

Min free space for the share is at 0kb. I can't find that setting for just the cache drive. I only see "Warning Disk Utilization Threshold" and "Critical Disk Utilization Threshold". Nothing about Min Free Space. Im going to the "Main" tab and clicking on "Cache" under Cache Devices. Should I be looking somewhere else? The largest files I generally transfer are probably roughly 4gb iso images. Most of what I am moving is 2gb or less. I'm just moving so much at once cache gets filled up fast. Then I have to pause, run mover, then resume the transfer. Or turn cache off for the share.

If you are running Unraid 6.8.3 then the setting for the cache drive is under Settings => Global Share Settings.  With 6.9.0-rc2 it is under the settings for each pool so each pool can have its own value.

6 hours ago, Hydranmenace said:

Ok. I am on 6.8.3. Min setting for cache is currently 2000000. There is no Kb, MB, GB or anything. Just the number. Not sure what would be best for me to set it at.

I would suggest the you edit the"Minimum free space:" parameter and use 'MB' or 'GB' in the size you want  (Ex:  40GB  ).  Remember that this setting should be determined by you based on the largest size file you will ever save to that share.  In fact, you probably want to actually make it about 10% larger than that figure to give a bit of wiggle room for file structure overhead.