Is it time to move off ESXi to running Unraid as bare metal?

Hi All

I decided to treat my box to some more memory and as part of my tinkering I have been looking at installing esxi 7.0. My problem is that 7.0 no longer supports my IBM 1015 (flashed as a LSI2008 in IT mode) which got me to thinking, my main reason for running esxi host was for for windoze, mac and linux vm's.  I'm using the plopkexec.iso method to boot into unraid so in theory I can boot directly into unraid by simply changing my boot preference.

My system still works perfectly well running 6.7 and unraid as a vm.

I suppose my question is do I need ESXi or can unraid do everything I want vm wise?

Sound like you are not passthrough HBA to Unraid VM, are you sure disks could be mount by Unraid baremetel ?

1 hour ago, IrishBiker said:

My problem is that 7.0 no longer supports my IBM 1015 (flashed as a LSI2008 in IT mode)

If all disks are Unraid, could you passthrough the controller ?

52 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

Sound like you are not passthrough HBA to Unraid VM, are you sure disks could be mount by Unraid baremetel ?

If all disks are Unraid, could you passthrough the controller ?

As I understand it - ESXi still has to load drivers for the hardware so it knows what to do, passthough for example.