[SOLVED] Nvidia passthrough issue

Hi everyone, I cannot seem to figure this out myself, so any help would be much appreciated.

System:

unRAID 6.9.0-rc2  • ASUS x570 Crosshair VIII Hero (wi-fi) (Latest BIOS 3202) • AMD Ryzen 7 3700x CPU  • 64GB (2x32GB) Samsung DDR4 ECC Unbuffered RAM

• ASUS 1050 Ti 4G Strix Gaming (SLOT 1) •  Zotac 3070 Twin Edge OC (SLOT 2) 

image.thumb.png.1fff108c9d552201457e14e7e5efab39.png

Current Issue:

I have created a Windows 10 VM following the videos from Spaceinvaderone. Initially without passing through any gpu. 

After completing the setup of the VM I tried to passthrough my 3070 (or 1050ti) without any luck. I checked with both i440-fx and with q35 as well as using the vbios and not using them.

The strange thing is that the guest starts and I can vnc (I have setup a vnc server). However, the connection is extremely slow and unresponsive so cannot do anything.

I have attached the VM log as well.

Any ideas?

win10_logs.txt

Edited by Zentachi
Changed to [SOLVED]

Windows have habit of trying to load the VNC drivers even though it now has the Nvida GPU: I recommend trying to install the Nvidia drivers though the VNC. After downloading and installing them; the install will stop about halfway giving error; saying like unsupported hardware.  Shut down the VM and Re-anble the Nvidia GPU  and boot up. Give it a little more time then normal and the drives should click on. After do the full install of the Nvidia drivers. 

There is another way of doing this but its even more of a pain let me know If that works.

Edited by runamuk
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, runamuk said:

Windows have habit of trying to load the VNC drivers even though it now how the Nvida GPU: I recommend trying to install the Nvidia drivers though the VNC. After downlaidng and installing them; the install will stop about halfway giving error; saying like unsupported hardware.  Shut down the VM and Re-anble the Nvidia GPU  and boot up. Give it a little more time then normal and the drives should click on. After do the full install of the Nvidia drivers. 

There is another way of doing this but its even more of a pain let me know If that works.

Thanks mate, your suggestion helped me fix this after many fruitless hours of trying.

I had tried previously to install the nvidia drivers and got the error so I gave up. I tried again per your suggestion. However, I also connected a monitor (which made my vnc work without issues). Nvidia drivers installed without any errors and my card appeared once the installation of the drivers finished. Thanks for the suggestion.

So summing it up for anyone might have a similar issue:
machine Q35, bios OVNF.
initially used just vnc driver and tried to install the nvidia drivers which didn't succeed.
shutdown and enabled the gpu using the vbios which I dumped following the spaceinvader video (don't know if it was necessary to use this as it isn't the primary)
installed nvidia drivers again and gpu showed up.
So far no issues.

4 hours ago, Zentachi said:

Without the monitor attached to the second GPU that I passthrough to my W10 VM, VNC is extremely slow, while in TeamViewer I can see a black screen.
Is there a setting or any other trick in order to access the VM without the need of a monitor to be attached?

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=DP+dummy+plug&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_2. You will need to use a dummy plug so the GPU stays active. I have searched for years to find something that would be able to trick the system into adding another virtual monitor, never had any luck.

Something tells me you are trying todo something like the following below 

https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-remote-gaming-on-unraid/4248

Edited by runamuk
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, runamuk said:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=DP+dummy+plug&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_2. You will need to use a dummy plug so the GPU stays active. I have searched for years to find something that would be able to trick the system into adding another virtual monitor, never had any luck.

Something tells me you are trying todo something like the following below 

https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-remote-gaming-on-unraid/4248

Many thanks!

I knew I read something about a dummy plug somewhere, but wasn't sure.
Ordered a couple of them and will test tonight.

Not just gaming, but a windows 10 general purpose/testing machine that I can use remotely without a monitor attached but a passthrough GPU.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but this is basically also my problem. In my case, there is only one difference, the GPU (Nvidia 980ti) and its sound-counterpart are in different IOMMU groups. Before I repeat everything which is mentioned here, can this a problem and should I solve it? 

Thanks

hundsboog

gpu.png

1 minute ago, hundsboog said:

the GPU (Nvidia 980ti) and its sound-counterpart are in different IOMMU groups

Um this is Normal. That's because a GPU is and Video and audio card. Depending on the card you may have to fix the Multi-function under the XML.

It will look like this below when you are setting up your VM. Under sound card the the video card must be primary.

image.png.ff06501e0e6b01c19ace33a1955bd1ec.png

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, runamuk said:

Um this is Normal. That's because a GPU is and Video and audio card. Depending on the card you may have to fix the Multi-function under the XML.

It will look like this below when you are setting up your VM. Under sound card the the video card must be primary.

image.png.ff06501e0e6b01c19ace33a1955bd1ec.png

Thank you very much for that lightning fast answer. I just wanted to exclude anything which could interfere passing through my 980ti. The OP had the gpu and the sound counterpart in the same IOMMU group, so I just thought it could be a good thing to ask. For some reason I got the same error 43 which I had not on UnRaid 6.8.3. Me idiot deleted the perfectly running GamingVM. Thats the price to pay not properly backing upo, I guess 😄

4 minutes ago, hundsboog said:

Thank you very much for that lightning fast answer. I just wanted to exclude anything which could interfere passing through my 980ti. The OP had the gpu and the sound counterpart in the same IOMMU group, so I just thought it could be a good thing to ask. For some reason I got the same error 43 which I had not on UnRaid 6.8.3. Me idiot deleted the perfectly running GamingVM. Thats the price to pay not properly backing upo, I guess 😄

image.thumb.png.002d2155b5a6acbc4e4df9d2a5ded3c1.png

This is how mine looks on my gaming VM. Hope that makes you  feel better.

Let me know if you are still getting Error 43 after doing that.

Edited by runamuk
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, runamuk said:

image.thumb.png.002d2155b5a6acbc4e4df9d2a5ded3c1.png

This is how mine looks on my gaming VM. Hope that makes you  feel better.

Let me know if you are still getting Error 43 after doing that.

Huuuuuraaaay!! @runamuk you are a champ!

I did like you proposed. First there was nothing following the description of @Zentachi  and you.

I even changed the Dummy Adapter. FIY I used an windows image I downloaded two days before. But after I let windows pull the very latest update RIGHT NOW the VNC switched off and when I got back with chrome remote desktop, I got a proper Full HD resolution!! You guys rock! 

Note to myself: Add your goddamn VM to the backupscript 😄

Write me a PM for receiving a beer via Paypal, both of you!

Cheers!

2 hours ago, hundsboog said:

Huuuuuraaaay!! @runamuk you are a champ!

I did like you proposed. First there was nothing following the description of @Zentachi  and you.

I even changed the Dummy Adapter. FIY I used an windows image I downloaded two days before. But after I let windows pull the very latest update RIGHT NOW the VNC switched off and when I got back with chrome remote desktop, I got a proper Full HD resolution!! You guys rock! 

Note to myself: Add your goddamn VM to the backupscript 😄

Write me a PM for receiving a beer via Paypal, both of you!

Cheers!

Glad this post helped you fix your issue as well.

As for the beer, just the thought is enough for me. Go grab one yourself and lets enjoy them playing with our unraid servers🍻:D

• Like 1
On 1/18/2021 at 10:54 PM, runamuk said:

Also this help me out because I have a super ultrawide monitor;  when passing though a lower end dvi dummy. (This can break Windows it if you mess up) 

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

@hundsboog Drink any extra one for me buddy.

@Zentachi I just wana know how you snagged that 3070.

I got some nice display port dummys from amazon that they can do 4k resolution and everything works great :) 

@runamuk Well when I was building my system I had decided that the best value for plex transcoding and watching 4k movies would be the 1050 ti. I couldn't find any in stock here in UK. I made a pre-order in an online retailer and while I was waiting I was browsing around. In another retailer some 3070 appeared in limited stock. It was a σpur-of-the-moment decision to get one and luckily I managed to grab it. So I also kept the 1050 ti that arrived a week later to use for plex and have the 3070 dedicated to an always on Win 10 VM.

• Zentachi changed the title to [SOLVED] Nvidia passthrough issue