Cannot USB boot anymore since hardware change

F1ZZY

I'm struggling here and need some assistance please.

I've had a server running for 3 or 4 years mostly for Plex on old PC hardware. skt 775 Core2duo 4Gb Ram Gigabyte G31 mobo and all was well  but I felt the need for more cores and more RAM.

So a minor upgrade ensued...

skt 775 core2 quad 8gb RAM and Gigabyte g33m board (not enormously different one would have thought!)

However, 

The same USB stick wont boot or even start to. I've fiddled with every BIOS permutation I can see. It gets stuck at Verifying DMI Pool Data

That USB stick in my PC starts to boot ok, can get to the Unraid menu choice screen. (so USB ok?)

Different USB with memtest86 on boots in server OK (BIOS all set to boot from USB etc fine then)

I noticed that Memtest86 configures file to FAT and Unraid USB file creator opts for FAT 32 so I manually created a USB drive with FAT put on UNraid and made it bootable - still no joy.

I haven't changed my original USB stick as once I get the hardware read and boot I'm hoping to insert my original USB.

I'm experimenting with fresh Unraid but cannot get it to even start to load.

So I've tried a couple of other USB sticks (16GB Verbatim and 16Gb unbranded) and both work for memtest86 and neither work for Unraid as FAT or FAT32.

I've tried with and without HDD attached, no change.

In my searches, I've seen some people using same mobo and processor as me so it cant be grossly incompatible.

Not sure what else to try and am open to suggestions........

Currently about 12 hours banging head against wall and counting

TIA

Edited by F1ZZY
  • F1ZZY changed the title to Cannot USB boot anymore since hardware change

Well the scandisk USB stick didn't work either :(

Must just be some really annoying and illogical quirk.

All memtest configured USB sticks boot in the new server

None of those sticks configured with UNRAID will boot in the new server.

But all of those usb sticks will boot other PC's into UNRAID.

So annoying..!!

22 minutes ago, F1ZZY said:

No, I dont think so, it's pretty basic and 12 years old.

I'll put some BIOS pics up shortly, see if you can see something I cannot., Thanks

On 1/17/2021 at 6:30 PM, F1ZZY said:

I noticed that Memtest86 configures file to FAT and Unraid USB file creator opts for FAT 32

I suggest you redo this step, don't use USB creator,  format it in FAT32, lable it UNRAID, copy all file and execute make_bootable.bat ( i.e. Windows command prompt ) .... this is official method when no USB creator program.

Edited by Vr2Io
12 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

I suggest you redo this step, don't use USB creator,  format it in FAT32, copy all file and execute make_bootable.bat ( i.e. Windows command prompt ) .... this is official method when no USB creator program.

5 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

Pls also try raise USB-ZIP higher then USB-HDD

no on both accounts unfortunately