new motherboard and CPU.....not booting?

Hello 

I just replaced my old motherboard+CPU (Atlhon X2 250) that has been working perfectly for several years (as a vanilla server) by a faster CPU (but still old) a Phenom X6 1055T (with another motherboard as well)

I just swapped the board, nothing more......

I was able to access the BIOS, to tell the motherboard to boot from the flash drive

But when I get to the attached screen, it seems to stop.....!

The cursor under the 2 lines is blinking, but nothing happens

What should I look for ?

I'm running the latest stable version by the way....Again, has been working flawlessly for several years with no hiccups !!!

Thanks

20210117_111606.jpg

Edited by French-Guy

I tried to download the latest release (6.8.3 - the one I was running) and extracted bzimage, bzroot and bzroot-gui and replaced them on my flash drive

Didn't change anything

I also tried the safe mode (with or without GUI) but nothing

Same thing for the memtest.....it says download memtest, but nothing happens

I know this mobo+cpu+ram works because I used it as my main computer with Windows 10 for many years !!!

Please help.....what should I check?

Is there anything in the BIOS I may have missed?

I would hate to have to reinstall the previous motherboard+CPU....!

Thanks

Edited by French-Guy

How should I try with a different flash drive?

Use the USB creator first, and then what are the folders or files to copy from my current flash drive to the new one?

My current flash drive is a Sansisk Cruzer Fit 4Gb (which is not that old by the way)...What other recommended brand should I try then?

Thank you

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

right.

Well, I just tried with a Kinsgton Datatraveler 2.0, and I'm getting the exact same results. Blinking cursor after "Loading  /bzroot...OK"

That's weird

Even when I try the memtest86+, it says loading memtest...OK, but then nothing other than a blinking cursor

That's very frustrating......!

I'm also having this same issue when switching to a new motherboard after the old one failed. I'm now using the MSI MAG B460 TORPEDO and UnRaid 6.9-RC2, when previously I was on 6.8.3 stable. I had to use the RC2 in order for my networking drivers to work with the new motherboard. I can't get to the Web UI on the server itself (just see the blinking cursor), but I can access it over the network from my other computers.

3 minutes ago, dansushi said:

I'm also having this same issue when switching to a new motherboard after the old one failed. I'm now using the MSI MAG B460 TORPEDO and UnRaid 6.9-RC2, when previously I was on 6.8.3 stable. I had to use the RC2 in order for my networking drivers to work with the new motherboard. I can't get to the Web UI on the server itself (just see the blinking cursor), but I can access it over the network from my other computers.

Try below BIOS setting

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, French-Guy said:

It's an old motherboard (Gigabite GA880) and I don't think I've seen anything about SVM ( AMD-V ) / IOMMU in the BIOS................But I will look again

Not exactly BIOS for GA880, pls check have Virtualization option or check EFI CD/DVD Boot Option too.

image.png.53a788cd38dd3704e68bd3d02933a5a1.png

Edited by Vr2Io

well...that's weird !

I've installed the X6 1055T and its motherboard (GA 880) in another case to use it as a Windows machine

I wanted to try 1 more time with the trial flash drive.....and it seems to work !

The only difference is the PSU (I doubt it's the reason) and the absence of the LSI card (SAS 9211 -8i) I have in my server

Would it be a compatibility issue between the LSI card and the GA880?

It's not impossible.  You could just try this which is a simple reversible modification that I and others have had to perform on similar cards...  

I had to do this on a Dell H310 card (same chip set I believe) after changing to a Gigabyte motherboard from an Asrock of a similar age.  You can try just masking the two pins on the top side of the LSI HBA board and see if it makes any difference.  If it doesn't help, then there's no harm done.

Edited by S80_UK