UNRAID 6.9 cache pool with HDD

Hi All,

I'm not running 6.9 yet, but i think multi cache pool is one of the coolest upgrade of all time for UNRAID.

anyway, i was thinking of putting some HDD in cache pool (yea i know cache pool is for SSD, but hear me out).

the reason is that i wanted to have my CCTV recording on the array, not on the unassigned drive, and with the concept of cache pool, i can easily make it a RAID1 and upgrade the storage seamlessly when require.

so i would set the CCTV share as to point to that HDD cache only, so no data from the CCTV cache will be array, so my main array will remain spin down and the HDD wear only will be on the dedicated cache pool HDD only. i can have dedicated HDD just for the CCTV, other SSD cache pool for my docker and VMs.

i know in theory it should work, just wanna know if it will work properly as cache pool mostly is deploy using SSD.

thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Ong Hui Hoong said:

anyway, i was thinking of putting some HDD in cache pool (yea i know cache pool is for SSD, but hear me out).

Not sure why you think this - it has always been possible to use HDD in a cache pool.

Perhaps you are getting confused by the inverse fact that it is not recommended that SSD be used in the main array?

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

Not sure why you think this - it has always been possible to use HDD in a cache pool.

Perhaps you are getting confused by the inverse fact that it is not recommended that SSD be used in the main array?

maybe I'm, anyway thanks for the clarification ya :)

cant wait for the v6.9 stable to be out :D