Which SAS to Sata cables are needed for the SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 controller?

I need to know which SAS to sata cables are needed for the SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 - 8 Port SATA II PCIe x4 (requires SAS cables). There are two links for SAS to Sata cables, both for the Norco cases. I want to connect the two SFF-8087 mini-SAS connectors to 8 sata drives, not using a Norco case.

The Newegg site does not list which cable are needed either

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101358

Dave

I need to know which SAS to sata cables are needed for the SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 - 8 Port SATA II PCIe x4 (requires SAS cables). There are two links for SAS to Sata cables, both for the Norco cases. I want to connect the two SFF-8087 mini-SAS connectors to 8 sata drives, not using a Norco case.

The Newegg site does not list which cable are needed either

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101358

Dave

I bought 4 pair of them, so I bought where I found them a little cheaper to save money.

Ebay for Forward Break out Cables

A (forward) breakout cable is used to break apart the SAS connector into 4 discreet SATA connections.  Hence is breaks apart the SAS connector into 4 SATA ports.

A forward cable is needed to run from a AOC-SASLP-MV8 to each of your SATA drives.

A reverse breakout cable (perhaps better called a combiner cable) COMBINES the signals from 4 SATA ports and makes them available on one SAS connector.

A reverse cable is needed to connect 4 SATA ports (from motherboard or non-SAS controllers) to a SAS connector needed plug into a Norco case.  This attaches those SATA ports to some of the Norco hot swap bays.  That's the way the Norco units work.

A (forward) breakout cable is used to break apart the SAS connector into 4 discreet SATA connections.  Hence is breaks apart the SAS connector into 4 SATA ports.

A forward cable is needed to run from a AOC-SASLP-MV8 to each of your SATA drives.

A reverse breakout cable (perhaps better called a combiner cable) COMBINES the signals from 4 SATA ports and makes them available on one SAS connector.

A reverse cable is needed to connect 4 SATA ports (from motherboard or non-SAS controllers) to a SAS connector needed plug into a Norco case.  This attaches those SATA ports to some of the Norco hot swap bays.  That's the way the Norco units work.

If a Norco case is used, then one thing to consider is connecting the hard drives to the on board ports and the controller ports, making them in groups of four. For example, if a system board has 6 sata ports, then one cable connects four bays to four of the six on board sata ports. If a second cable is used for the remaining two on board ports, then two bays will be unusable, unless you have a sata controller card with two sata connections.

The Supermicro controller card works out with no wasted ports, since it has two mini SAS connections, each with 4 ports.

I am still considering the Norco 4224, but I'm afraid that the drives will run hotter than they do in my full tower using Thermaltake iCage A2309 HDD Module with 12cm Blue LED Fan 3 in 3 drive cages because the drive density is much higher in the Norco cases. Although the Norco cases look much better than my full tower with the 3 in 3 drive cages.

Dave

Supermicro cables for the Supermicro card:

http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Supermicro_CBL_0188L/CBL0188L/10528347/

Cheap too. When I bought 2 of them there in September, they weren't special order. I'm not sure if it just says that because they are out of stock or what. If you have the time to wait, this is a good retailer. Otherwise, check the part number with the retailer of your choice.