ManicTime Server

avinyc

Hi Everyone,

My apologies if I am not asking this correctly or in the right place.  Just started with unraid and running into trouble trying to set up the manictimeserver (https://www.manictime.com/).  Not sure if anyone uses this time tracking program, but I am hoping I can get this up and running correctly.

I found the docker in CA after enabling additional results from dockerhub in settings.  There is also a link to the docker image here: https://hub.docker.com/r/manictime/manictimeserver/

The command line didn't match what the docker image was showing, so I added the host path and port and installed the container.  Here's a snapshot of that:

screenshot-tower-2021_01.18-11_07_47.thumb.png.c848439103c84a39554721cad2ec5540.png

I also opened the console to execute addadmin to create the admin user and password as mentioned in the quickstart.  Everything is running correctly and I can connect to the client software on my windows machine.

My problem is once the unraid server is shutdown or restarted, the manictime server doesn't retain the server settings.  I'm clearly failing to figure out how to set this so it is saved in the correct folder or use a database.  I'm also hoping I can get the reverse proxy working with SWAG according to the instructions here: https://manictime.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1880923-using-reverse-proxy-with-manictime-server

If anyone uses this time tracking software or can point me in the right direction on how to configure this correctly, I would truly appreciate it.  Let me know what other information or details I am missing that I should provide here as well.

TIA

29 minutes ago, avinyc said:

shutdown or restarted, the manictime server doesn't retain the server settings

The host path you specified is in RAM just like the rest of the Unraid OS. Typically you should use user shares (in /mnt/user) for host paths. The best place for that particular host path is probably going to be a subfolder named for that specific container within appdata (/mnt/user/appdata).

Well, I guess typing everything sometimes helps you to gather your thoughts.  I went ahead and changed the host path from /var/lib/manictimeserver/Data to /mnt/user/manictimeserver and now everything is working even after rebooting.  I had tried looking with krusader to find the manictimeserver folder in /var/lib, but it never showed up so I guess I shouldn't have changed that setting from the original docker image.

I am unsure about the reverse proxy setup, but hopefully someone else has done this or has a guide.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

The host path you specified is in RAM just like the rest of the Unraid OS. Typically you should use user shares (in /mnt/user) for host paths. The best place for that particular host path is probably going to be a subfolder named for that specific container within appdata (/mnt/user/appdata).

Ahh, that makes sense now!  I used /mnt/user/manictimeserver, which is now working again.  Thank you for explaining this to me, I still have a lot to learn but really happy I can use this software now:)

Also, it seems to me that you had reversed host and container paths above as well. I would expect the /var path to be the container path. That would be the path within the application itself, and since that is a path within the OS of the virtual environment of the container, it seems very likely that is what the application would use.

Then, the path in /app would correspond to the appdata user share on the host.

Checking the docker hub link you gave seems to confirm what I said and you did indeed have these reversed.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Also, it seems to me that you had reversed host and container paths above as well. I would expect the /var path to be the container path. That would be the path within the application itself, and since that is a path within the OS of the virtual environment of the container, it seems very likely that is what the application would use.

Then, the path in /app would correspond to the appdata user share on the host.

Checking the docker hub link you gave seems to confirm what I said and you did indeed have these reversed.

Wait, so I still have this set up incorrectly?  Here's what the container looks like now, but everything is running (or so I think):

screenshot-tower-2021_01.18-13_09_03.thumb.png.404fd734591c01e0c32f690ccf8a3692.png

Are you saying I should reverse the container and host paths here?

screenshot-tower-2021_01.18-13_10_52.png.339630cf89c628cbc764c81aabcba2a0.png

Or am I missing something else and need to add back the other paths?