Moved drives to Disk Shelf and some of them are complaining (showing wrong identification) (SOLVED)

Today was the big moving day to move the drives to the disk shelf. I removed all of the drives from the old machine and put them all in the disk array. When I started unraid, I got a stale configuration as some of the drives had been marked missing. Note: not every drive that was moved came up with this error. Looks like 5 have trouble. I looked up the error which said stale configuration and wrong disk: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/66673-drive-identification-wrong-on-some-disks-after-634-to-64-upgrade/ - The recommendation was creating a new config with leaving the parity as correct.

After doing that I still have those 5 disks wanting to be formatted! Yikes!

image.thumb.png.762d5f1b11abc220782982bf87258824.png

I did have a snapshot of the orignal config and the disks are in the right slots:

ORG config before moving

image.thumb.png.db4f20a2bed4683b92f59e169cee961f.png

This is when I had that trouble with the disk that had been resolved.

I'm not sure what to do next. I don't know if the parity drive can re-build from this?

Thanks for the help!

Diags and smart info for the drives included:

tower-smart-20210118-2317.zip tower-smart-20210118-2316 (2).zip tower-smart-20210118-2316 (1).zip tower-smart-20210118-2316.zip tower-diagnostics-20210118-2300.zip

Edited by mwoods98

This can happen when moving from/to RAID controllers that don't use the standard partition, you should be able to fix it by rebuilding all the disks one at a time, since Unraid will recreate the partition, stop array, unassign one of those disks, start array, the emulated disk should mount and show the correct data, if yes, and only if yes, reassign the disk to rebuild on top, then repeat for the remaining disks.

Pls wait a moment, in first, I want to check you change controller from which to which .... But seems not a change

82:00.0 SCSI storage controller [0100]: Broadcom / LSI SAS1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS [1000:0058] (rev 08)
    Subsystem: Broadcom / LSI SAS1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS [1000:30a0]
    Kernel driver in use: mptsas

It seems just add expander ( NETAPP   DS424IOM6 ) in between, pls confirm this, I never think add a expander will cause disks unmontable. BTW, SAS1068E really not recommand and how come it support more then 2TB disks. Pls provide more detail what hardware have change.

Suggest don't start array, it could corrupt whole array. 

According below info. seems 1068E work with any size SAS disk ( still no BIOS support ), but not SATA.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9908-lsi-1068e-disk-support-2tb-bios-disabled/

Edited by Vr2Io
6 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

Pls wait a moment, in first, I want to check you change controller from which to which .... But seems not a change

82:00.0 SCSI storage controller [0100]: Broadcom / LSI SAS1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS [1000:0058] (rev 08)
    Subsystem: Broadcom / LSI SAS1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS [1000:30a0]
    Kernel driver in use: mptsas

It seems just add expander ( NETAPP   DS424IOM6 ) in between, pls confirm this, I never think add a expander will cause disks unmontable. BTW, SAS1068E really not recommand and how come it support more then 2TB disks. Pls provide more detail what hardware have change.

Suggest don't start array, it could corrupt whole array. 

According below info. seems 1068E work with any size SAS disk ( still no BIOS support ), but not SATA.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9908-lsi-1068e-disk-support-2tb-bios-disabled/

@Vr2Io to give more details: The disk shelf is a Netapp DS4246 - When I had it in the older (dying) server I was using this card - LSI SAS3801E // L3-01123-04E PCI-E 3GB/s Dual Port - to build a new machine while the old one was up I bought another card - LSI Logic SAS3801E PCIe 3GB/s miniSAS 8-Port Host Bus Adapter with 2x SFF-8088 That's the listing of the card currently in the new server - I can swap the older card into the new machine if you think this will help fix some of the issues. I thought the cards we identical.  I have the old card and can swap it out to see if that will help things. 

If I do this, would I need to do the new configuration and assign the drives again? 

Note: I did start the array to try to figure out what's wrong. It has been up for about 14 hours. 

The cards that I have can see the larger drives without issue so far.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions in helping to work to get this fixed. 

3 hours ago, jonathanm said:

What's the deal with the red X on 15?

Before I moved this over, I had a drive fail. I removed that drive and re-built the array after removing this drive. I took an image of the drive layout before doing all of this with the new configuration just in case the drive information was lost. 

1 hour ago, mwoods98 said:

I can swap the older card into the new machine if you think this will help fix some of the issues. I thought the cards we identical.  I have the old card and can swap it out to see if that will help things. 

If you use same card type and no issue in previously, then just keep this, but quite strange if change mothboard and same model HBA will got those problem.

Just friendly remind, I have change different motherboard and different HBA many times and no issue, but your setup 3801E+Netapp may have hidden issue (big trouble) if either hardware dead, you can't mount disks as usual if hardware change.

Edited by Vr2Io
1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

I think it's your best bet, it worked many times before for similar situations, and you don't have much to lose, just don't rebuild on top if the emulated disk doesn't mount correctly.

Ok @JorgeB,

Just asking can the parity rebuild from 5 drives that have been "lost" ? I'm also just going to double check, stop the array, remvoe the device, start the array, it should emulate the drive then reassign and rebuild. Just wanted to make sure I am understanding correctly. 

Thans just trying to be extra cautious @Squid can you verify?

17 minutes ago, mwoods98 said:

Just asking can the parity rebuild from 5 drives that have been "lost" ?

Yes (assuming parity is valid), the data is still there, it's just the partitions that are invalid.

19 minutes ago, mwoods98 said:

I'm also just going to double check, stop the array, remvoe the device, start the array, it should emulate the drive then reassign and rebuild. Just wanted to make sure I am understanding correctly. 

Correct, and to remove you just unassign the device.

26 minutes ago, mwoods98 said:

@Vr2Io Sorry for the extra reply. Just trying to make sure I understand the procedure. 

Stop the array, physically remove the drive then restart the arrray? I just wanted to be sure. 

Yes, only one disk at a time, then check does emulated disk return mountable, if fine then process rebuild, otherwise need advice from @JorgeB

Edited by Vr2Io
17 minutes ago, trurl said:

no.

Do not physically remove. 

Stop array. 

Unassign one of the problem disks.

Start array with disk unassigned. 

Verify the emulated disk is mounted. 

Then post a screenshot since there seems to be some confusion. 

Hi @trurl thanks for pitching in.

I have:

Stopped the array

unassigned the problem disk

started the array

verified the emulation

image.thumb.png.bdda8863cbfcf52c145de4d7730c96b7.png

Disk 5 is the disk. I have clicked on it to view the emulated contents.

Now, here's the part I'm fuzzy with - I can copy the contents ( I have used unbalance to do this before) but I am not sure how to kick off the re-build process to 

put that disk back into place and have it rebuild.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Stop array 

Reassign that disk

Start array to begin rebuilding 

Got it and rebuild has started. I'll repeat the process for all of the other disks. 

One final question, I turned off the dockers for this process but it does bring the array back online. Should they be turned off or it doesn't matter?

Thanks  @trurl and everyone else who chimed in!

• mwoods98 changed the title to Moved drives to Disk Shelf and some of them are complaining (showing wrong identification) (SOLVED)