Multiple NICs - Same LAN

Puntoboy

I've recently added a dual port 10GbE NIC to my UnRaid server and since I've been having some problems with my network config.

Eth0 is the onboard 1GbE NIC

Eth1 is the first port on the 10GbE NIC

I'd like to have both NICs connected to the same LAN. Eth0 for management, GUI, etc. and Eth1 for the SMB, VM and other traffic.

I've assigned a static IP to both NICs, Eth0 has bonding enabled (I have tried to disable it but the GUI stopped loading). But if I try to connect to the IP of Eth1 I can see the traffic is going via Eth0. I ran an iPerf test and I can also see this was capped at 1Gbps.

If I change the default route to Eth1, that may work I guess? But then all traffic will just come from Eth1 and Eth0 won't be used for anything.

• 2 years later...
On 1/19/2021 at 10:17 AM, Puntoboy said:

I've recently added a dual port 10GbE NIC to my UnRaid server and since I've been having some problems with my network config.

Eth0 is the onboard 1GbE NIC

Eth1 is the first port on the 10GbE NIC

I'd like to have both NICs connected to the same LAN. Eth0 for management, GUI, etc. and Eth1 for the SMB, VM and other traffic.

I've assigned a static IP to both NICs, Eth0 has bonding enabled (I have tried to disable it but the GUI stopped loading). But if I try to connect to the IP of Eth1 I can see the traffic is going via Eth0. I ran an iPerf test and I can also see this was capped at 1Gbps.

If I change the default route to Eth1, that may work I guess? But then all traffic will just come from Eth1 and Eth0 won't be used for anything.

Did you manage to get this working? I think I have exactly the same issue and can't get any traffic over the direct connected 10GbE eth1 NIC.

Have tried bonding, bridging etc all via slightly confusing contradictory instructions in other setups and nothing appears to work. I would be happy to drop the 1GbE link altogether if I could get the 10GbE to function but at present I can't even ping it in either a dual or single setup.

You can't really have two nics on the same network like that. Each nic will get its own IP and then the network won't know which one to use to contact your server.

If you have the Fix Common Problems plugin installed it will warn about this:
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/120220-fix-common-problems-more-information/page/2/#comment-1100014

Your best bet in this case is to use the 10GbE nic for everything. First make a backup of your flash drive (Main -> Boot -> Flash -> Flash Backup), then go to Settings -> Network Settings -> Interface Rules and adjust things until the 10GbE nic is eth0, then reboot.

Note: it is best to have a local keyboard/monitor connected when making a change like this so you can see what IP is assigned at boot, in case it is something unexpected.