[Support] [Depreciated] FlippinTurt PiHole DoT-DoH

This repo was created to update the original piHole DoT/DoH by testdasi
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/96233-support-testdasi-repo/

Official pihole docker with added DNS-over-TLS (DoT) and DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH).

• DoH uses cloudflare (1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1) and DoT uses google (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4). Config files are exposed so you can modify them as you wish e.g. to add more services.

This docker supercedes testdasi's previous Pi-Hole with DoH and Pi-Hole with DoT dockers.

For more detailed instructions, please refer to Docker Hub / Github links below.

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/flippinturt/pihole-dot-doh

Github: https://github.com/nzzane/pihole-dot-doh

Please make sure you set a static IP for this docker, as DHCP will not work!

FAQ:
Q: Can this be installed on top of testdasi's current pihole DoT-DoH?
A: Yes, this can be installed over, without any problems

Q: How do I change the hostname?
A: Use the '--hostname namehere' parameter, under 'extra parameters' in the containers settings

Q: Is there a list of good block lists?
A: https://firebog.net/

Initial Upload: 20/1/21
Latest Update: 27/04/22 (dd/mm/yy)

Current FTL Version: 5.15

Current WEB Version: 5.12

Current PiHole Version: 5.10

Edited by FlippinTurt
Updated to 5.10
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • FlippinTurt changed the title to [Support] FlippinTurt PiHole DoT-DoH

Let me be the first to say thank you for taking over the other container. DoH is an incredibly important feature for me.

My blocking is not working whilst using PIA VPN. I have this VPN running on all of my devices. On Windows you can set a custom DNS within the tunnel software like so. My PiHole is running at 192.168.1.51

The problem is, this results in a DNS not resolved error when using my VPN. If I set the Custom DNS to 191.168.1.1 it works and I can see the traffic in my PiHole, but the problem is that it's very slow. Sites load very, very slowly and blocked sites are not blocked completely. They still load but without any images or themes/formatting, so they load only as a basic HTML page that looks like a total mess.

Here's the PIA DNS Settings window:

u9XY2Cc.png

I've set up my ASUS AX88U router like this:

Rz6SPhO.png

Here's my DNS settings page on the PiHole:

c1JROn5.png

Once again thank you so much for making this container. It was sad to see the old one go so out of date.

Edited by plantsandbinary
7 hours ago, plantsandbinary said:

Let me be the first to say thank you for taking over the other container. DoH is an incredibly important feature for me.

My blocking is not working whilst using PIA VPN. I have this VPN running on all of my devices. On Windows you can set a custom DNS within the tunnel software like so. My PiHole is running at 192.168.1.51

The problem is, this results in a DNS not resolved error when using my VPN. If I set the Custom DNS to 191.168.1.1 it works and I can see the traffic in my PiHole, but the problem is that it's very slow. Sites load very, very slowly and blocked sites are not blocked completely. They still load but without any images or themes/formatting, so they load only as a basic HTML page that looks like a total mess.

Here's the PIA DNS Settings window:

I've set up my ASUS AX88U router like this:

Here's my DNS settings page on the PiHole:

Once again thank you so much for making this container. It was sad to see the old one go so out of date.

From what I can see, that should be working fine, have you tried running this with DNS leak protection turned off in the PIA client?
(As you are still going through a local DNS there won't be any actual 'leaks')

Edited by FlippinTurt
16 hours ago, gadgetzombie said:

Can I drop this in as a direct replacement for the standard pi-hole docker (using the existing appdata and therefore settings) or should I set it up as a brand new instance?

Yep, this can be installed over without any problems :)
- I will add that into the main post now, thanks for reminding me!

• Thanks 1

Hello,

Thank you for this container, really liking it a lot. From what I have read on the PiHole website, if I have a bunch of whitelisted websites to add, instead of adding 1 whitelist at a time, I should be able to edit /etc/pihole/whitelist.list and add them there and save the whitelist.

When going into appdata/pihole-dot-doh/pihole I do not see a whitelist.list. I have added a few manually to see if the whitelist.list gets created once added and rebooted the docker and updated gravity but still do not see a whitelist.list and don't see any files in the appdata/pihole-dot-doh/pihole with the whitelists that I have added manually.

Is the whitelist elsewhere in the system? Is there a way to update or add a whole bunch of whitelists easily without doing it one by one?

Thanks

3 hours ago, mikegiann said:

Hello,

Thank you for this container, really liking it a lot. From what I have read on the PiHole website, if I have a bunch of whitelisted websites to add, instead of adding 1 whitelist at a time, I should be able to edit /etc/pihole/whitelist.list and add them there and save the whitelist.

When going into appdata/pihole-dot-doh/pihole I do not see a whitelist.list. I have added a few manually to see if the whitelist.list gets created once added and rebooted the docker and updated gravity but still do not see a whitelist.list and don't see any files in the appdata/pihole-dot-doh/pihole with the whitelists that I have added manually.

Is the whitelist elsewhere in the system? Is there a way to update or add a whole bunch of whitelists easily without doing it one by one?

Thanks

Hey there,
To edit the whitelist you will have to go into the container itself, whether that be via ssh to your tower, or clicking on console on the docker.
There is a command you can use once inside the container 'pihole -w' https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/misc/whitelist-blacklist/
This will also check if the domains are valid and add them in for you - might be easier than adding them into the list file.

1 hour ago, macmanluke said:

how do you install over previous pihole instance (safely)?

Will it keep configs?

Just hit install on my repo and keep the same settings (ip, docker name etc) and it will overwrite the main system files and will leave your config untouched.

The only thing that may change is the hostname, but that's an easy fix.

3 hours ago, trig229 said:

Setting -> Docker -> Advanced -> IPv4 custom network on interface br0:  Check this is correct

I'm not too sure what you're getting at here sorry.
That is your dockers IP address - which it gets from your router.
You will need to set a static IP for the container that aligns with your local IP range (10.1.1.1 or 192.168.1.1 etc)

47 minutes ago, FlippinTurt said:

I'm not too sure what you're getting at here sorry.
That is your dockers IP address - which it gets from your router.
You will need to set a static IP for the container that aligns with your local IP range (10.1.1.1 or 192.168.1.1 etc)

Someone made a post just above mine saying that they couldn't start the docker due to a static IP not being in the subnet.  Looks like they have now deleted it without a thanks or anything lol!  

On a side note, thanks for this, up and running in a matter of minutes :) 

53 minutes ago, trig229 said:

Someone made a post just above mine saying that they couldn't start the docker due to a static IP not being in the subnet.  Looks like they have now deleted it without a thanks or anything lol!  

On a side note, thanks for this, up and running in a matter of minutes :) 

That'd explain it 😂
Thanks for helping them out then

And that's all good, glad it's working well for you guys :) @Zorlofe @trig229

Edited by FlippinTurt
  • Like 1

Docker was working fine for awhile, but last night I restarted the server and could no longer access the web UI anymore.

I pinged the docker's ip (192.168.1.2) address and it is responding, and I checked my router's device list and can see the static ip of docker is there.

I went ahead and download the "pihole-template" docker and that worked just fine. Not sure what happened after the reboot.

image.png.db703beda55dd1b89390998ec5ec42f1.png

5 hours ago, jfoxwu said:

Docker was working fine for awhile, but last night I restarted the server and could no longer access the web UI anymore.

I pinged the docker's ip (192.168.1.2) address and it is responding, and I checked my router's device list and can see the static ip of docker is there.

I went ahead and download the "pihole-template" docker and that worked just fine. Not sure what happened after the reboot.

image.png.db703beda55dd1b89390998ec5ec42f1.png

This is quite odd.
Could you please try force an update for the pihole
(Hit basic view slider to make it advanced, and then click force update on the pihole docker)

After the update is complete please try start the docker again and see if the web UI loads correctly

Edited by FlippinTurt

I too can't access the web UI anymore. I was on the old testdasi version this morning and I noticed the web UI wasn't working. Went to the support thread and found this one. Updated to it and it still wasn't working. Deleted the image and my appdata and tried to install a fresh one, and still no web UI. My log looks exactly the same as the one above. Anything else I can try to help diagnose?

6 hours ago, Pducharme said:

@FlippinTurt Just want to know if you plan on updating to latest pi-hole versions or if there is a way to update them with variables or from within the Docker's console.

Thanks for the good work!

Yep, just updated to FTL 5.6 etc.
Hopefully have managed to set it up correctly so that the docker automatically updates - will keep an eye on it for now. :)

1 hour ago, applesauce9 said:

I too can't access the web UI anymore. I was on the old testdasi version this morning and I noticed the web UI wasn't working. Went to the support thread and found this one. Updated to it and it still wasn't working. Deleted the image and my appdata and tried to install a fresh one, and still no web UI. My log looks exactly the same as the one above. Anything else I can try to help diagnose?

Could you please try the latest update and see if you still have this issue?

@FlippinTurt

Thank you for helping. I tried many things, and sort of able to recreate the problem.

1. Docker and router dns server all setup and working properly

2. Server reboot, the pihole-dot-doh stopped functioning. 

3. At this point, I can get it to work again by setting the router’s dns server back to known server such as 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8, etc., and restart/reinstall the docker.

4. Change the router dns back to the pihole-dot-doh address.

Somehow the pihole-template docker is immune to the server reboot.

I still need to experiment a few variables such as setting the pihole ip address in my asus router’s “LAN DHCP” menu or the “WAN” menu.

@FlippinTurt

Sorry to waste your time. The answer to my problem is right in front of me this whole time.

"NOTE 3: UnRaid network settings DNS server cannot point to a docker IP."

When I set the pihole address in the "LAN DHCP" menu of the router, it automatically updated the unRAID's network DNS server to the pihole's IP.

The solution is to strictly use router's "WAN" DNS server setting and leave the DHCP's DNS menu blank (for asus router at least).

• Thanks 2
  • FlippinTurt changed the title to [Support] [Depreciated] FlippinTurt PiHole DoT-DoH