Addresses:  2607:f8b0:4007:810::200e

Logs show this as well

Nov 10 17:01:28 dnsmasq[471]: query[A] pi.hole from 127.0.0.1
Nov 10 17:01:28 dnsmasq[471]: Pi-hole hostname pi.hole is 10.0.10.4

But hostname in webgui (and everywhere else I look) is "aquahole"

root@aquahole:/# hostname
aquahole

image.png.1b72ee0dea6c13ca825953bed4def4fa.png

How did you go about changing the hostname, through docker environment variables or within the container itself?

On 11/18/2021 at 6:17 AM, Previous said:

Thank you for the suggestion, from the console pihole -up gets "Function not supported in Docker images"

So no luck there.

I am on the latest version of the repo, at least that`s what it shows: flippinturt/pihole-dot-doh:latest

Any way to force it to check for updates? or re-download it?

edit.

OK.. actually my bad.. i was expecting Docker containers were checking for updates on their own, but i actually used the "check for updates" button.. and it showed there is a newer version.. And now everything is updated..

You can setup a task in Unraid to automatically check for docker updates at set intervials :)

I've been trying to modify the lighttpd.conf to enable use of the admin panel in an iframe.

Tried mounting external config for the pi-hole to use. Tried mounting both full /etc/lighttpd/ dir to my share (after copying original files) and just the conf file on its own. No matter what I do, the startup script seem to move the modified file into a .orig copy and create a new one in its place ignoring the external config file. 

Tried mounting a script to inject the option and placing it in startup (recommended in pi-hole docker github here: https://github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole/issues/327), but I'm getting denied permissions - not sure how to set them up on the script for this to work here.

Any idea whether modifying lighttpd.conf is currently possible at all?

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just installed this but I am getting a DNS error on my clients. 

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

The host IP address of the Unraid server is 192.168.1.10

The IP address of the Pihole docker is 192.168.1.15

The router address is 192.168.1.254

I can ping all the above addresses from my clients. 

Any ideas??

On 1/8/2022 at 2:06 PM, Stubbs said:

Why isn't this container downloading adlists? Whenever I add them, they just remain greyed out.

It worked when I first installed the container, but now they simple don't get downloaded or updated.

pihole-978.png

Have you updated gravity after editing the lists?

Edited by FlippinTurt

@FlippinTurt Thanks a ton for your support. I just installed this and seem like one issue from this thread is back again 

[08:24:14.423920] STUBBY: Read config from file /config/stubby.yml
Starting cloudflared
./run: line 7: /usr/local/bin/cloudflared: No such file or directory
Stopping stubby
Stopping cloudflared
cloudflared: no process found

any suggestions ? 

11 hours ago, iskoala said:

@FlippinTurt Thanks a ton for your support. I just installed this and seem like one issue from this thread is back again 

[08:24:14.423920] STUBBY: Read config from file /config/stubby.yml
Starting cloudflared
./run: line 7: /usr/local/bin/cloudflared: No such file or directory
Stopping stubby
Stopping cloudflared
cloudflared: no process found

any suggestions ? 

No worries!

The only way I have been able to replicate this is installing testdasi's version ontop of the current version - If possible can you try uninstall pihole-dot-doh (and remove the appdata folder for it) and reinstall?
(This error started when cloudflare moved the download location & name of cloudflared - causing the docker builds to miss it)

Edited by FlippinTurt
Fixed english
12 hours ago, FlippinTurt said:

No worries!

The only way I have been able to replicate this is installing testdasi's version ontop of the current version - If possible can you try uninstall pihole-dot-doh (and remove the appdata folder for it) and reinstall?
(This error started when cloudflare moved the download location & name of cloudflared - causing the docker builds to miss it)

my bad the real issue here is me 🤦‍♂️... I got confused and installed testdasi's version instead of yours .... 

installed yours now works like a charm, much thanks !

• Like 1

So just installed this after a fresh install of unraid 6.9.2 yesterday.  I previously ran pihole doh on vanilla debian managing the container with portainer.

I went to update gravity since there are -2 rules on the blocklist.  The update times out and gives me the following error:

[✗] DNS resolution is currently unavailable
  [✗] DNS resolution is not available

Are there any changes I need to make to get this to work after installing it?  Obviously, I changed things like IP and timezone appropriately before installing.

EDIT:  Searching has yeilded more information on this.  It seems this container may not respect the DNS Settings from environment variables and add them to the resolv.conf file in the container.  A quick investigation shows that resolv.conf contains 127.0.0.11...which obviously isn't an address we care about at all.  So, it's looks like we'll have to manually add extra parameters for the resolv.conf so that it can resolve hostnames...

I'm just not sure what to change it to yet...the bottom line is the container won't work out of the box without changing it.

Edited by devnet
2 hours ago, devnet said:

So just installed this after a fresh install of unraid 6.9.2 yesterday.  I previously ran pihole doh on vanilla debian managing the container with portainer.

I went to update gravity since there are -2 rules on the blocklist.  The update times out and gives me the following error:

[✗] DNS resolution is currently unavailable
  [✗] DNS resolution is not available

Are there any changes I need to make to get this to work after installing it?  Obviously, I changed things like IP and timezone appropriately before installing.

EDIT:  Searching has yeilded more information on this.  It seems this container may not respect the DNS Settings from environment variables and add them to the resolv.conf file in the container.  A quick investigation shows that resolv.conf contains 127.0.0.11...which obviously isn't an address we care about at all.  So, it's looks like we'll have to manually add extra parameters for the resolv.conf so that it can resolve hostnames...

I'm just not sure what to change it to yet...the bottom line is the container won't work out of the box without changing it.

Resolved this myself.  Here's what I had to do....

1. Turn off VM Service
  2. Turn off Docker Service
  3. Edit Network settings to NOT use my router first as a DNS server...changed to 1.1.1.1 and added my router second.
  4. Saved
  5. Turned on VM Service
  6. Turned on Docker Service

Now the container pulls from the internet just fine...it seems  it doesn't like using a router as a DNS server.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Zigfreed said:

Any idea how to get custom cache_size to stick through restart/update? I made the changes in setupVars.conf but it gets overwritten on restart.

In the standard pihole docker it's set as an environmental variable.  Not sure if it is in this docker image:

https://github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole/tree/dev#environment-variables

Edited by devnet
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, devnet said:

When mine updated this morning..it pulled from:

By: flippinturt/pihole-dot-doh

The Repo is the same
I am not talking about flippinturt repo, it's about testdasi

The flippinturt repo is from testdasi due to no updates but now there is a new update

On 3/15/2022 at 8:05 PM, Abigel said:

The Repo is the same
I am not talking about flippinturt repo, it's about testdasi

The flippinturt repo is from testdasi due to no updates but now there is a new update

I have just had a look at the code testdasi is using to install Cloudflare and it looks like it is finally updated - so I would say that yes he has updated his repo.
Both mine and his appear to be the same now :)

Edited by FlippinTurt
  • Like 1
On 3/25/2022 at 2:15 AM, Tritech said:

Updated a bunch of stuff yesterday, and have everything on my router pointed to pihole and I got rate limited.

"Client 192.168.1.1 has been rate-limited (current config allows up to 1000 queries in 60 seconds)"

Is there a way to edit the this via the GUI?

Unfortunately not, however you can edit it by opening a console into the docker;

Click the docker, click console

nano /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf

and check out the pihole documentation for explanation on the ratelimit setting
https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/configfile/#rate_limit

Essentially, you can set 'RATE_LIMIT=0/0' to disable rate limiting, or you can play around with the default RATE_LIMIT=1000/60 :)

• 3 weeks later...

hi

since few days, here what i got in the logs, and the admin page is not responding

Please ensure that the container has the required capabilities.
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: exited 1.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: applying...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 05-changer-uid-gid.sh: executing...
[cont-init.d] 05-changer-uid-gid.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: executing...
::: Starting docker specific checks & setup for docker pihole/pihole
WARNING: Unable to set capabilities for pihole-FTL.

Please ensure that the container has the required capabilities.
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: exited 1.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

++

ERR failed to connect to an HTTPS backend "https://1.1.1.1/dns-query" error="failed to perform an HTTPS request: Post \"https://1.1.1.1/dns-query\": read tcp 192.xxx.xx.xx:40456->1.1.1.1:443: read: connection reset by peer"

Any ideas how to solve that issue? After container restart it will work fine but error(s) will come back.

Thank you!

Edited by Civic1201
  • FlippinTurt changed the title to [Support] [Depreciated] FlippinTurt PiHole DoT-DoH