APC Smart UPS X 3000 Setup

Hello, I have an SPC Smart UPS X 3000, and I can't seem to get UnRAID to see the UPS.  My previous old APC SMT1500 worked fine, but I can't get my new one talking.  I have tried over the network and over USB.  Is there a manual console walkthrough I could follow to establish the device.  I have found that it's usb Bus 3, Device 2.  But I'm stuck at determining which /dev/?? it would be or how I could talk to it to verify operation like over putty.

so, I can ssh to it from my unraid server and modbus & snmp are enabled.  https, snmpv3 are also enabled.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  none of the apcupsd, apcaccess nor apctest seem to work, no matter what the settings.  How can I manually test the hid device on USB or Powerchute (PCnet)?

May be getting somewhere now.  When I plug in the UPS, I get the following message in the log.

Jan 27 19:51:16 Beast kernel: usbhid 3-2:1.0: can't add hid device: -71

Jan 27 19:51:16 Beast kernel: usbhid: probe of 3-2:1.0 failed with error -71

Any ideas?  Is this the issue?

Pls ref. below post for troubleshoot, or provide detail info. for investigate.

On 1/21/2021 at 1:14 AM, cadamwil said:

so, I can ssh to it from my unraid server and modbus & snmp are enabled.  https, snmpv3 are also enabled. 

You have network management card install and connect to it ? I would suggest you unplug it and try the RJ45 (USB) port with official UPS cable.

Edited by Vr2Io

so mine doesn't say refreshing, mine just states lost communication.  I have verified that the UPS works fine over USB to windows, and I have been able to update it over the APC 

AP940-0625A cable.  I now have both the serial (AP940-0625A) plugged into the serial port on my server and the USB plugged in as well.  I have now tried UPSCABLE = Smart / UPSTYPE = MODBUS / PORT=/dev/ttyS0, UPSCABLE = USB / UPSTYPE = USB and UPSCABLE = USB / UPSTYPE = MODBUS.  None seem to work. 

When I have it set to UPSCABLE = Smart / UPSTYPE = MODBUS / PORT=/dev/ttyS0 and run apctest I get the following output

2021-01-29 23:01:33 apctest 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) slackware
Checking configuration ...
sharenet.type = Network & ShareUPS Disabled
cable.type = Custom Cable Smart
mode.type = MODBUS UPS Driver
Setting up the port ...
0.547 apcupsd: ModbusRs232Comm.cpp:219 ModbusRx: -------------------TIMEOUT
1.091 apcupsd: ModbusRs232Comm.cpp:219 ModbusRx: -------------------TIMEOUT
1.638 apcupsd: ModbusRs232Comm.cpp:219 ModbusRx: -------------------TIMEOUT
1.638 apcupsd: ModbusComm.cpp:212 SendAndWait: Retries exhausted
2.184 apcupsd: ModbusRs232Comm.cpp:219 ModbusRx: -------------------TIMEOUT
2.729 apcupsd: ModbusRs232Comm.cpp:219 ModbusRx: -------------------TIMEOUT
3.275 apcupsd: ModbusRs232Comm.cpp:219 ModbusRx: -------------------TIMEOUT
3.275 apcupsd: ModbusComm.cpp:212 SendAndWait: Retries exhausted

When set to UPSCABLE = USB / UPSTYPE = USB and I run apctest, I get the following

2021-01-29 23:02:46 apctest 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) slackware
cable.type = USB Cable
mode.type = USB UPS Driver
Setting up the port ...
apctest FATAL ERROR in apctest.c at line 321
Unable to open UPS device.
  If apcupsd or apctest is already running,
  please stop it and run this program again.
apctest error termination completed

Lastly, when set to UPSCABLE = USB / UPSTYPE = MODBUS and I run apctest, I get the following

2021-01-29 23:05:16 apctest 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) slackware
cable.type = USB Cable
mode.type = MODBUS UPS Driver
Setting up the port ...
apctest FATAL ERROR in apctest.c at line 321
Unable to open UPS device.
  If apcupsd or apctest is already running,
  please stop it and run this program again.
apctest error termination completed
root@Beast:~# apctest

I also verified that no apcupsd process was running using "ps aux | grep apcupsd"

Any thoughts?

My UPS was old type, it won't support modbus protocol, it support serial-smart or USB-HID (most ups use this one), both mode need different cable and setting.

In some setting you use modbus, pls also turn on modbus on UPS too, if not, pls also turn off in UPS side.

AP940-0625A was a serial cable, so you have two protocol could be use, one is serrial-smart or serial-modbus. This cable shouldn't use nowadays.

-----------

For USB-HID, the cable which work under Windows. This is the most common cable use to connect UPS, pls try turn on/off modbus option and try.

Edited by Vr2Io

so I have tried two different methods of connections.  An AP940-0625A connected from the serial port and USB A to USB B.  I can't seem to get either to work. 

My older SMT1500 worked just fine.  When the new one is hooked up via USB to windows or Linux, it shows USB-HID connected.  I have verified both ports, serial or USB work correctly on windows.  I really can't understand why this isn't working over anything on UnRAID.  My suspicion is something isn't right on the USB driver.  However, I don't have a clue why the serial doesn't work.

I just tried SNMP and I do have that working.  It doens't show nominal power or UPS load, but at least it's working.  Any ideas on serial troubleshooting?

4 hours ago, cadamwil said:

Any ideas on serial troubleshooting?

Pls try below first, a pure simple Serial console and human readable text, use it to confirm communication success. 

https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/34608/apc-smart-ups-sua3000-smart-ups-sua2200.html?page=14

My UPS was SUA2200 ( very old model ), in first, I use serial by a real COM port or USB-to-Serial COM, both work with Unraid, but I change to USB-HID for long time, I really forget the serial setting.

But I doubt does new gen UPS also support those serial protocol, there are several post relate new gen APC UPS communication problem, seems APC have change something but not well announce / doc, this may need software update.  Not much help can provide as I haven't new gen UPS.

Or you could try NUT in Unraid or use other platform to host UPS be a network UPS then share to other network client.  I previous use HASSIO to host SUA2200 be a NUT network UPS.

Edited by Vr2Io

Vr2lo, looks like I am kinda screwed on this one.  My APC ups is new enough it uses "Microlink" technology and won't talk to much of anything except APC drivers.  I guess I could load them into unraid, but it seems like a giant pain for little reward.  Anyone want to trade a SMX3000RMLV2UNC for an eaton 5PX/SX or 9PX/SX 1500 or greater?

Note.

For now, apcupsd supports MODBUS over RS232 serial only, pls keep fighting to make it work, I think not so hard if really identify the issue now.

https://forums.apc.com/spaces/5/smart-ups-symmetra-lx-rm/forums/general/5993/microlink-protocol-in-apcupsd

Q – Are there any physical changes to the serial cables used on the new models?
A – In order to differentiate between Microlink and UPSlink Smart-UPS we have changed from a DB-9 serial port to a keyed RJ-45 serial port on the new models. An RJ45 to DB9 cable is included with every new Microlink UPS.

https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA156573/

------------

Would you confirm you have turn-on modbus at UPS ?

"Note that most UPSes ship with MODBUS support disabled by default. You must use the UPS's front panel menu to enable MODBUS protocol support before apcupsd will be able to communicate with the UPS. You may need to enable the "Advanced" menu option before the MODBUS protocol option will be visible."

http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/#modbus-driver

-----------

If not work, you may try add a Network management card ( check suitable for your UPS model before buying )

https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=53796

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=apc+ap9620&ref=nb_sb_noss

Edited by Vr2Io