Are Vms safe to do banking? or should get a Raspberry Pi and do it that way

hi  i have question my sister wants to do secure banking.. and with virus etc in windows 

i thought either a Rasperry pi  and use it as a desktop ... or run VM on unraid running ubuntu going through windows..

is it safe to do banking on windows through a VM through the Qemm..  or is it still unsecure.. and u want just a dedicated computer.. i figure i ask since i got unraid server running differnet VMs  and figured why not but i thinking if she did get a virus etc it catch the key strokes.. or like vulnablyities  Windows has that caues issues...  

so any input be good..  but im guessing ur gonna say VM still unsecure  and buy a raspberry pi and do a desktop that way

The VM is as secure as any other computer, 'your' actions are what compromise the security.   The only way you would get a virus or other security threat is by downloading something that you shouldn't or clicking on stuff in emails.  If you do none of that then you don't have much to worry about, in a VM or otherwise.  

Any adult in 2021 should know by now not to click on things in emails unless they're a known source. 

well i mean  security experts say dont use your personal computer for banking..  only have a computer that has nothing installed on it. just plain windows

well like Microsoft just released that there is a bug in windows that will cripple your computer with a 90s virus.. and  you hear time to time  dont use your desktop

but you never know  if her Windows PC gets a virus and then access's  banking issues in the VM is her key strokes etc compromised..  but i guess you guys answered it

VM is compromised if desktop is compromised.. as she does banking credit bills crypto currency stuff.. and  always bugs in windows like releases that delete your documents windows bug.. so i guess ill just make her raspberry pi then since it be secure no day to day use.

thanks  i wasnt 100% figured id ask 🙂

On 1/20/2021 at 7:56 AM, comet424 said:

well i mean  security experts say dont use your personal computer for banking..  only have a computer that has nothing installed on it. just plain windows

What security are you talking to?

well like Microsoft just released that there is a bug in windows that will cripple your computer with a 90s virus.. and  you hear time to time  dont use your desktop

Windows is way ahead of what it was 10 years ago as far as virus protection. But if you are that worried. Use a Linux VM.

VM is compromised if desktop is compromised.. as she does banking credit bills crypto currency stuff.. and  always bugs in windows like releases that delete your documents windows bug.. so i guess ill just make her raspberry pi then since it be secure no day to day use.

A raspberry PI, runs linux....

well you know  last week MS released major bug in Windows 10  that will cripple your system  

but  you know  security experts say dont use your desktop PC for banking especially when you got family that use the same computer and install stuff

so i only thought maybe a VM be better but i guess not if you get a virus on windows then  it will see ur banking info on the VM..  so i told her just use the raspberry Pi.  just swap out the sim card.. as her laptop is older and MS doesnt support Windows 7 anymore for security etc.. 

besides my sister is worried  since she has a bunch of bitcoin.. and just wants to be extra secure...

but i hear ya...  least windows is better then it was especially in the virus scanner.. but they dont make a windows fixer to find whats broken  or a tweaker  like Norton offers  etc