help on setting up my dockers right

I have been reading and a lot of people are saying that the reason that the docker image grows is due to bad dockers setup, that you are storing the wrong information within them.

I think I have my dockers set up right as I use the defaults and only point to external sources for things like Plex media, so would someone please have a look at my dockers and inform me if I have them set up right and if not want they should be. as at the moment my docker image is at 75%

image.thumb.png.ce5584bee5361fcf57d547cff7897425.pngimage.thumb.png.6e60206a44f3b97da63eb42d1b15483a.pngimage.thumb.png.5e49185b9cbc16139ca7130b5d426bb9.png

9 minutes ago, chris_netsmart said:

I have been reading and a lot of people are saying that the reason that the docker image grows is due to bad dockers setup, that you are storing the wrong information within them.

What you show here is only half the equation. You must look at each container app setup INSIDE the app, and make sure any data is being written to a mapped location. As an example, you have delugevpn configured with /data and /config pointing to array locations. If you have deluge itself saving data to /download, it's going to save the data inside the docker image. But, from what you posted here, there is no way to determine how you have deluge configured. You probably have deluge correct, or other things would be wrong, but that is just one example of where things can go wrong.

You must examine each app to make sure it's only saving data to locations that are mapped to the array. What you posted here doesn't show any of that, only where the apps should be saving data, not where they actually are configured in their settings.

Clear as mud?

1 hour ago, chris_netsmart said:

would someone please have a look at my dockers and inform me if I have them set up right

Here is an example of what @jonathanm said above.  If you have Deluge configured to save to a /data location, which in your case appear to map to an unassigned device, you must have the deluge app configured to save there as well.  The spelling must be exactly like it is in the setup including capitalization.  /data and /Data are not the same location.

Here is an example:

image.png.58f3304946b402d55c3f0a93885b0657.png

The above saves downloads to incomplete and complete folders in the specified /data location.

If something is mis-configured, it will be saving to the docker.img file causing it to grow a lot. Has it grown a lot recently from a smaller size to now 75% of specified size?  20GB is the recommended docker.img size, so you are at about 15GB now?

You can also click on the CONTAINER SIZE button in the Docker tab to see if any of your containers appear to be unusually large. This could be an indication they are mis-configured and storing data in docker.img.

Check all of your docker containers which download, transcode or otherwise store data to make sure some error is not causing their to do their thing in docker.img

Edited by Hoopster

@Hoopster  I just ran click on the Container Size button and I got the following results.  going to have a look at the top 6to see why they are over a 1g

image.png

UPDATE:

ok I have done some reading and what I have found is that people are saying delete the img file and start again, which I think is a bit OTT.  cos if the template is not set up right them I will be back in the same place within a few weeks.

also I have seen people talk about the dockerhub and that this will tell you the right size for your docker but again when I look in here I see no reference to the size of a docker.

so hopefully if I post my template settings here then someone will be able to help.  I will post the @binhex containers

the first is Deluge - and I will only post the folder paths

image.thumb.png.a3bfe24c0d56959cdf7fd26e52974579.png

image.png.e2c1ef2cb5fa1b9ad408911ccb3dc6c4.png

image.png.13c5716f870d877bac096949acc09552.png

Jacket

image.thumb.png.7c619c3c872212bb2179abed3f9d5093.png

image.png.828c52c727810fa975ca02546cd27028.png

Sonnar

image.thumb.png.86808c491ebdcb6195cb645199d81767.png

image.thumb.png.9d65d744c4064a8a28d3be8a7e733e8f.png

Edited by chris_netsmart