Temps are awesome with no extra fans!

They have two fan speed settings. I had them on the highest and that was keeping things real cool so I decided to try it on the low setting and that works just as well. They aren't that loud at all. Considering I'm only running more fan, the machine is pretty quiet. The fans are standard 80mm in size, so can be replaced easily if you want them to be. My favorite color is blue, and that's why I ended up with those. A little color!

iStarUSA made a change to their carrier's (the thing that holds the drive). A very small change, but I did notice it. The newer style has a tab that sticks up and forces tension while inserting the carrier. This keeps vibration off. I contacted iStarUSA and they are setting up a RMA right away for me to replace mine with the newer ones. Awesome customer service. They didn't tell me to contact Newegg or anything. Here is what I mean.

width=600http://www.photopiks.com/side.jpg[/img]

MOD EDIT: shrunk the picture a little bit for easier viewing.

iStarUSA made a change to their carrier's (the thing that holds the drive). A very small change, but I did notice it. The newer style has a tab that sticks up and forces tension while inserting the carrier. This keeps vibration off. I contacted iStarUSA and they are setting up a RMA right away for me to replace mine with the newer ones. Awesome customer service. They didn't tell me to contact Newegg or anything. Here is what I mean.

side.jpg

I had 10 drive trays like that and i lined the small groves on the sides with slices of card and that eliminated the vibration which used to drive me nuts.

ds2320scbk-tray.jpg

We should start quoting our drive temps in degrees C above ambient so we can make sure we're comparing apples to apples. We should also remember to quote the drive types since the newest 5400 RPM green drives will be much cooler than older 7200 RPM drives. Also need to quote temps after a known load - for instance, after thermal equilibrium is reached 30 minutes into a parity check or something like that.

My drives are running 28C to 30C in a room that's 23C. They are idle but not spun down. Wait, let me initiate a parity check and see what happens...

The spun down drives started at 24C.

After 2 min the drives are up to 25-27

3 min 26-28

5 min 26-29

7 min 27-29

9 min 28-30

10 min 29-30

12 min 29-31

15 min 30-32

60 min 34-36

90 min 35-37

note: lowest temp drive is the 5900 RPM 2TB Seagate green, highest temp is shared by my oldest 2TB WD EARS green and my ancient 7200 RPM 2TB Hitachi.

updated note: the second highest temp at 60 min switched over to the WD EARS next to the 7200 RPM Hitachi. Maybe environmental?

This is an array of Supermicro 5in3's with the fans undervolted to 5V. Case is an Antec 900 with two exhaust fans - top and back, both set to low. Side vent closed up.

I used to keep my drives in the low 20s, which is easy to do with well designed airflow and one 120 fan per 4 drives.  However, after that google article about drive failures based on temps, I decided to let them run in the mid 30s when under full use (parity checks).  I've found that is actually difficult to maintain unless you have PWM fans and a motherboard that supports command line rpm values, or 3 pin fans with a fan controller.

What do you want? I have three of them being used now.

I'd like to know how they compare to the other 5in3 cages that have been used here.

Give Rajahal a couple of days, I think he is away right now, and he should have something written up that compares the different ones he has used. 

I can tell you he likes the Norco 5-in-3 cages the best at this point in time.