Stay with unraid? And hardware help

jakebake

Upgrade my Unraid server or go Synology?

Hey guys! I built an unraid server yearsss ago and have basically just been using it as data backup and that’s it. It’s pretty low end hardware. I think a very low  end amd processor, 2gb of ram and then I have an older 128gb ssd cache and three 2tb drives. 

Within the last year I started a YouTube channel and have gotten into video editing. I’d ultimately like to have something I can store footage on as well as edit from on my main pc with davinci resolve but have the files on the server. 

I’d also like to use it as a plex server and potential a private cloud. 

I was looking into getting a 10gbe switch and card for my main of and then a synology 1621xs+ but I’m sure I could get better stuff for the money just upgrading my unraid server. Although I’m just not into tinkering as much anymore snd would like it to just work which is the reason why I was thinking about the synology. 

What do you think and if I stick with unraid what hardware should I go with? And stuff that’s actually even In stock at the moment haha.

My main pc has a 3900x but I currently have a x370 mobo that I was considering I could potentially use that for the unraid system and upgrade to a x570 mobo finally.