questions DIY nas

hello guys,

i have some questions

for 2 years i own a  qnap ts-673 nas, but i generaly don't like the system nor i know how to handle it, since i wnt more storage and that nas is limited to 6 drives i was thinking to make a DIY nas with more drives, i hear alot people talking that unraid is great

parts i have lying arround are and planning to use (i guess)

4x10tb wd red

amd ryzen 7 3700x

4x8gb ddr4 3600mhz cl 18

aorus gtx 1080ti

but there are some questions,

how is the performance ? i readed it is single disk performance right ?

it writes / read files to a single disk instead stripping over all drives ,

from my understanding, it keeps kind of disk failure like a raided one.

how would it function with amd, i readed a post of 3 years back that amd is badly supported.

i want to use the nas with 1-2 windows vm's.

i want to run it with a torrent client that supports rss, witch is hard on q-nap's side soi run it in a windows vm .

i want to use it as a ftp/cloud kind of thing for when i am on the go that i can remotely watch movies and access my files.

i want to use best privacy with encryption and vpn .

i weekly back up my files to google drive with encryption of HBS3, so i need something like that to

to be honest for some reason i don't know how unraid is beter than freenas or other nas systems, not that i know them,

i don't know any of them that is why am trying to find out witch nas software is best.

sorry if i ask these kind of questions, im totaly un-experienced because i don't want to mess arround with it to much just setting things up and be done with it .

even now qnap system for some reason it keeps making the nas bad,

i had to format the system like 3-4x already to keep it back on track again ,

it cant run stable to me, and since i download lots fansubs and keeping them well 6 drives aint enough,

also i use vpn and i want to keep using it for more privacy, not that it works well on qnap eitther but it works but dc randomly ,

the ssl also well (don't) work on my nas , it use lets encrypt on it but somehow websites still say not ssl , not trustfull and it is anoying on the ipad,

i want to avoid these things when i go for a DIY nas.

Edited by YuzuAihara