General Question on Unraid. Can I access Unraid main GUI remotely?

Hi there,

I just got a server and I am planning to use Unraid for NAS and other stuff. I'm still new with server stuff and I'm not sure if this has been posted somewhere before so please bear with me :)

The server I have doesn't have a GPU or integrated graphics. I am planning to install Unraid on a USB in a different computer and then move that USB to the server to run Unraid (not sure if this will work as well, if you can give insight on this that'll be really helpful).

The main question is can I access the main GUI remotely within the same LAN? Since I don't have a GPU to install on the server and I would prefer not to buy an old one just to access the main GUI since I'm not going to use it as often.

Just now, trurl said:

Managing Unraid using a web browser on other machines on your network is what many of us do. After setting it up I have seldom attached a monitor to it. But how will you be able to setup your server to boot from the flash drive?

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there anything I need to do in the main GUI after installing Unraid?

I have an old computer with integrated graphics. My plan is to install Unraid in a USB stick using that old comptuter. And then after setting everything up, I am transferring the USB stick to the actual server I am intending to use

5 hours ago, WhiteFrost said:

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there anything I need to do in the main GUI after installing Unraid?

I have an old computer with integrated graphics. My plan is to install Unraid in a USB stick using that old comptuter. And then after setting everything up, I am transferring the USB stick to the actual server I am intending to use

The comment was about how you are going to tell the final server to boot from the USB drive in the first place?    Normally this requires going into the BIOS settings of the server and that part is outside of Unraid control.   If the server supports IPMI then you can get into the BIOS settings that way over the network from another computer.   If it does not then you are almost certainly going to need a graphics card and keyboard + monitor attached (even if only temporarily) to get the BIOS settings correct.

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

The comment was about how you are going to tell the final server to boot from the USB drive in the first place?    Normally this requires going into the BIOS settings of the server and that part is outside of Unraid control.   If the server supports IPMI then you can get into the BIOS settings that way over the network from another computer.   If it does not then you are almost certainly going to need a graphics card and keyboard + monitor attached (even if only temporarily) to get the BIOS settings correct.

I see what you mean, I can't get to the BIOS without a Graphics card. I will try asking a friend if he has an old quadro he can lend me.

But after every installation and setup, is there anything I would need in the main GUI? I'm likely returning the GPU after installation and initial setup so I won't have access to it.

2 hours ago, WhiteFrost said:

I see what you mean, I can't get to the BIOS without a Graphics card. I will try asking a friend if he has an old quadro he can lend me.

But after every installation and setup, is there anything I would need in the main GUI? I'm likely returning the GPU after installation and initial setup so I won't have access to it.

The Unraid GUI is available over the network (using a web browser) once Unraid has booted successfully.