Spin down issue and best practice to have HDDs silent as long as possible

J05u

Hello, i was thinking to make my server silent as possible, mainly it's used for Plex

By by some reason few of my drives (where is my media files are located) don't spin down.

I used file File activity plugin, but it's not showing much information. Mostly it show me what all my media got accessed, probably by Plex.

Which is the best practice to keep drives spinned down using SSD drives? I have 2 tb cache raid0 for downloads.

How i can store recent media files on cache until it's close to be full to make my drives idling until i don't need data from them?

Is it any hidden mover settings, like move when cache pool is almost full?

Does any of your appdata exist on the array drives.  This is a very common reason drives not spinning down.  Wouldn't hurt to post Diagnostics.  To store on cache set your media shares to Cache: Yes to store recent files on the cache.  You can setup Mover under settings and Scheduler to determine when these files get moved into the array.

Edited by Gragorg
20 hours ago, Gragorg said:

Does any of your appdata exist on the array drives.  This is a very common reason drives not spinning down.  Wouldn't hurt to post Diagnostics.  To store on cache set your media shares to Cache: Yes to store recent files on the cache.  You can setup Mover under settings and Scheduler to determine when these files get moved into the array.

In my understanding cache only should be working as you said, but not really. And also mover settings are not so flexible, in my opinion there should be some more flexibility to use it, but again, i am not that experienced user, so i can be wrong.

Appdata is cache only, nothing on the array

My spin down delay set to 15 min, but once drives start they never stop. I know few of them not in use, but still they spinning

fortress-diagnostics-20210122-1316.zip