[SOLVED] Failed parity disk replacement

I have searched the forum and couldn't find a same situation and hence the new topic ,apologies if it feels repeated 

I am a newbie and have the following setup

Unraid 6.9 rc2

Array disks 

2tb 

3tb

8tb 

Parity 8tb 

This morning parity disk failed with a servo error and smart test long reports the same , short test has no issues , but I think disk is failing , due to low disk stock I had to buy 2 x 4tb drives , what I want to achieve is move data off the 8tb array disk to 2x4tb and then move the 8tb as new parity disk.

What is the safest approach to do this ?

I have read about krusader but I think for that parity needs to be online , any guidance will be appreciated.

Parity not required to run dockers or access files. 

Unassigned Devices with the new disks would let you keep parity until data copied from the 8TB, then New Config with the new disks assigned and the 8TB as parity and rebuild. 

On mobile now will follow up later if nobody beats me to it. 

40 minutes ago, Anirudhks said:

how do i copy / move files from the 8TB volume

I always use the built-in Midnight Commander (mc from the command line) for working with disks directly on the server. Krusader could work if it is configured to let you work with the disks. unBALANCE plugin is another possibility.

Never mix user shares and disks when moving or copying files.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

New Config without parity and with the new disks assigned to data slots. 

Copy 8TB to new disks, New Config with 8TB assigned as parity and rebuild. 

Tools - New Config will let you assign any disks as you like. Note it is used twice in those instructions.

2 hours ago, Anirudhks said:

launch the mc from command line , move the entire content of the 8 TB disk  to new disks

Do you know how to do that? Midnight Commander is pretty easy. Disks are at /mnt/disk1, /mnt/disk2, ...

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Never mix user shares and disks when moving or copying files.

User Shares are at /mnt/user. Be sure to avoid those when working with the disks.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Tools - New Config will let you assign any disks as you like. Note it is used twice in those instructions.

Do you know how to do that? Midnight Commander is pretty easy. Disks are at /mnt/disk1, /mnt/disk2, ...

User Shares are at /mnt/user. Be sure to avoid those when working with the disks.

Ok roger that , so i was confused , so now I will setup a new config , so with new config ( adding disks to array data ) will not erase it right ? only incae of adding parity would clean up the disks ( Parity DIsk)

If I understand. 

Edited by Anirudhks

New Config lets you assign any disks into any slots you wish, and then optionally (by default) rebuilds parity when you start the array by reading all data disks and writing the results of the parity calculation to the parity disk. Only the parity disk is written. Be sure you don't accidentally assign any disk with data on it that you want to keep to any parity slot.

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Failed parity disk replacement