Hardware migration utility

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

As I'm preparing to swap out my mobo, cpu, and sas card, I thought "hey, why is this a manual process"?

By preparing I mean printing PDFs of the drive slots, making a copy of the files on the flash drive, etc. 

So I thought "Hey, wouldn't it be great if this were a one-click process?"

What I'd love is to download a zip file created by the system that includes ALL of the config info, a copy of the contents of the thumb drive, and anything else that may aid either myself or support in recovering any issues experienced in a hardware swap. 

Maybe an option to automatically disable auto-start on all Dockers and VMs as well with the process. 

Even cooler would be a means of entering your proposed new hardware to be checked against a database of known issues, but that's a whole nuther' project. 

1 hour ago, NAStyBox said:

What I'd love is to download a zip file created by the system that includes ALL of the config info, a copy of the contents of the thumb drive, and anything else that may aid either myself or support in recovering any issues experienced in a hardware swap.

This information is in the zip file produced by the backup option offered after you click on the Boot Device on the Main tab.    You also have a lot of the needed information if you use the Tools -> Diagnostics option although that does not include everything on the flash drive.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

This information is in the zip file produced by the backup option offered after you click on the Boot Device on the Main tab.    You also have a lot of the needed information if you use the Tools -> Diagnostics option although that does not include everything on the flash drive.

Yes, but to get all the actual files you would need to go CLI at this point, as far as I know. I just create a directory on a share, cp /boot to that directory, zip, and copy off to a PC. 

I mean it's not something we need to overcome an obstacle. It just makes things more user-friendly. The lack of which is what hurts Unraid in the market. You should see the objections I read before people go out and buy one of those glorified toasters, or opt for some other distro like Xpenology. I read one guy say that Unraid is no longer supported, last week, lol. 

Think about the psychology behind it. Single-step preparation to migrate to new hardware can alleviate a lot of stress. None of the "what did I forget?" stuff. 

I mean I'm fine with things as is for the most part, but I'd like to see the product live on and grow more because I have no plans of going anywhere. 

4 hours ago, NAStyBox said:

es, but to get all the actual files you would need to go CLI at this point, as far as I know. I just create a directory on a share, cp /boot to that directory, zip, and copy off to a PC. 

Where does the CLI get involved?   The backup option gives you a ZIP file containing the contents of the flash drive and gives you a browser ‘save as’ dialog so you can put it where you want.

In many cases migration is just plugging the same disks in on the new server and booting from the same flash as before. I've done it more than once and never had a problem. 

On 1/22/2021 at 5:27 PM, itimpi said:

Where does the CLI get involved?   The backup option gives you a ZIP file containing the contents of the flash drive and gives you a browser ‘save as’ dialog so you can put it where you want.

Hah! I didn't even notice that was there. All this time I would go in and do the CP and pull it off a share. Thank You!

On 1/22/2021 at 8:18 PM, trurl said:

In many cases migration is just plugging the same disks in on the new server and booting from the same flash as before. I've done it more than once and never had a problem. 

I've had thumb drives come apart in my hand when pulling them out. Having had to clean up a lack of prep for a living it's just one of those things I'm accustomed to doing. The effort is minimal but the payoff is huge if something like that should happen. 

On 1/22/2021 at 9:55 AM, NAStyBox said:

Maybe an option to automatically disable auto-start on all Dockers and VMs as well with the process. 

Haha, it's like you can just disable the docker service until it's all set up, seems kind of easy. Don't ya think? :D  Or turn off the container auto start.

On 1/30/2021 at 5:35 PM, NAStyBox said:

Hah! I didn't even notice that was there. All this time I would go in and do the CP and pull it off a share. Thank You!

Haha, yes the GUI makes every little task easier, it's almost like LImetech gave you the tools for everything you're thinking about. :D

On 1/22/2021 at 1:12 PM, NAStyBox said:

I read before people go out and buy one of those glorified toasters, or opt for some other distro like Xpenology. I read one guy say that Unraid is no longer supported, last week, lol. 

Haha, oh man that's too funny.. yeah no longer supported!!  When in doubt, just remember.... :D 

On 12/3/2020 at 7:22 PM, NAStyBox said:

But it's perfect for what I need it for.