unraid server freezes all the time

TUN_SD

Nothing obvious logged, could be a hardware issue, start by running memtest, if nothing there one thing you can try it to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disable, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

• Thanks 1

One thing i would try, (as i assume its a new setup) take out the drives and try and boot using just the system in its shell form (drive less)

Does the system respond at all to keyboard and mouse when it locks up? (Not sure if you have a display connected at all)

Also would you happen to have the system specs you have? like Mobo RAM PSU CPU etc? 

Removing all the drives (power and data) will at least let the HW as a main run and see if thats a fault else start adding section by section. Adding the drives back in and see if pre/post array if there is any issues along with before adding any containers etc as part of it (As a basic file store like Jorge mentioned)

Running a live disc never gives a true rep of the system, unless you run a mem test or a heavy drive task on it.

I had an issue with my brand new box, it ended up being a mix of a bad cable and a bad back-plane on the system causing the system to lock up (mine showed drive errors at least)

with any new system, it could be anything untill you run some tests, Mem test will clear mem stick issues, drive tests will clear any drive issues, and load tests will clear any power issues and CPU tests will clear any CPU issues :/ 

Edited by brent3000
  • Thanks 1

First of all, thank you.

I will follow the advice no later than the weekend.

I have noticed that one hard drive, which by the way are all new, shows an error that is usually due to a faulty cable. I have exchanged this once.
New ones are ordered.
Since the error is displayed on the parity drive, it would explain why the computer went down tonight during the check.
I will continue to monitor.

Bios is already the current.
Here is the hardware:

[0:0:0:0]disk SanDisk Ultra 1.00 /dev/sda 15.5GB

[1:0:0:0]disk ATA WDC WD40EFRX-68N 0A82 /dev/sdb 4.00TB

[2:0:0:0]disk ATA WDC WD40EFRX-68N 0A82 /dev/sdc 4.00TB

[3:0:0:0]disk ATA ST4000VN008-2DR1 SC60 /dev/sdd 4.00TB

[4:0:0:0]disk ATA ST4000VN008-2DR1 SC60 /dev/sde 4.00TB

[N:0:1:1]disk SAMSUNG MZVPV512HDGL-000H1__1 /dev/nvme0n1 512GB

Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connectio

MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H410I-PLUS Version Rev 1

CPU: Intel® Pentium® Gold G6400 CPU @ 4.00GHz

Patriot Memory Viper Steel Series DDR4 8GB (2 x 4GB) 3200MHz Gaming

3 hours ago, TUN_SD said:

Bios is already the current.

No worries, the diag showed the bios version was 0403 which is why i mentioned it :)

But yes drive issues always cause the system to go abit funny, one of my issues was the type of cable and the noise from the fan was causing interference (very very hard to diagnose hahah) but def worth quality cables, they get hammered alot :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, the freezing I have managed with a replacement of the ram.
However, I now have the problem that unraid does not properly accept my second network card.
the plan is: computer and nas directly connected 10.10.10.10 to 10.10.10.11 with a 2,5tgb card each.
The card is also recognized by unraid.

furthermore: Router - Switch, from the switch goes the server, TV, reciever, Pihole, computer.
Nas should get here a static IP, 192.168.0.162

if I disable bonding on adapter 1 (onboard NIC) in Unraid, the server no longer comes into the network. is that wrong, because I want to use explicitly from the computer the 2.5 gb for file transfer.
Which setting do I have wrong here? Does bonding have to remain active?