To BMC or not

immageek

So I have an itch to want to rebuild my unRaid server and move the old gear in the old case it came from and make it a dedicated backup server that I can turn on and off at me leisure via IPMI access.

What I'm trying to decide or justify the cost for a server motherboard that has IPMI and BMC capabilities since I have a Supermicro 836 with the quiet power supplies. Being able to remotely turn the server on or off or see the power draw is neat, but not 100% sure it's all that important.

I'm considering going with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 so server boards are very limited which is part of my conundrum. I do run Plex but really don't do any transcoding so going Intel with iGPU isn't a huge concern of mine, I'm more looking for lower power draw. If needed i have a Quadro m2000 I could use.

Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, theruck said:

you can turn on the server remotely even with wake on lan and usually with a home server like this there is someone at home to turn it on :)

True, that can be an option, but IPMI is far more useful, and turning the unRaid server on is less of an issue since it will be on all the time. As I sit back and think about it more it almost seems more like a novelty than anything else. If I did more or had to manage it more often like I would at work, then I could see it.

3 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

IPMI and BMC capabilities not a bad idea, but in my opinion., consumer motherboard better then server board overall. I use WOL for wakeup, IoT for power monitoring and VPN for Unraid remote management.

Yeah. I've been reading up on the PI-KVM and that could be a sweet solution down the line if I ever decide I want KVM access. But VPN would be the way to go otherwise.

13 minutes ago, immageek said:

Yeah. I've been reading up on the PI-KVM and that could be a sweet solution down the line if I ever decide I want KVM access. But VPN would be the way to go otherwise.

My last purchase motherboard was Supermicro IPMI and BMC, but Amazon send me a used board so I return it and buy Asus which save around USD 140.

I choice it not because IPMI/BMC, mainly depends on which motherboard were most I want ....... So, life never with Supermicro and IPMI/BMC.

Edited by Vr2Io
6 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

My last purchase motherboard was Supermicro IPMI and BMC, but Amazon send me a used board so I return it and buy Asus which save around USD 140.

I choice it not because IPMI/BMC, mainly depends on which motherboard were most I want ....... So, life never with Supermicro and IPMI/BMC.

I hear ya. I'm looking at the Asrock Rack X470D4U.