Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT driver Install for UnRaid OS?

slipstream

Hi All,

I am new to UnRaid. I purchased a Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT nic card for my SuperMicro X10SRH-CF Motherboard.  The Mellanox PDF manual has Linux Driver installation instructions but nothing for the UnRaid OS. 

Can anyone in the community please explain to me what is the correct driver I need to use so my Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT nic card works correctly in my UnRaid OS?  Additionally, how are such drivers installed in the UnRaid OS?  Are drivers in the UnRaid OS installed as plugins?  Any clarification will be welcomed.  Thanks.

I've got the dual port version, works out of the box, just make sure to setup and enable in the network section of the Unraid GUI.

However, if you need easy access to the Mellanox tools, such as for flashing the cards bios, there is also a plugin available from version 6.9.0 onwards (or with 6.8.3 with custom kernel).

The plugin can be found in Community Applications.

Edited by tjb_altf4

Thank you to all for your help.  Just a follow-up question. 

The graphic below is from my SuperMicro X10SRH-CF Motherboard Owner's Manual.  As you can see it has both PCH (Platform Controller Hub) and CPU labeled PCI slots.  Does the UnRaid OS work better with my Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT card by inserting it to the PCH PCI slot or the CPU PCI slot?  In short, what is the best PCI Slot Number I should use shown in the graphic below?

SuperMicro PCI Slots2.jpg

29 minutes ago, slipstream said:

Does the UnRaid OS work better with my Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT card by inserting it to the PCH PCI slot or the CPU PCI slot?

Yes

29 minutes ago, slipstream said:

In short, what is the best PCI Slot Number I should use shown in the graphic below?

Always use CPU PCIe for best performance, usually lack of slot or IOMMU group issue will use PCH PCIe

Vr2lo,

I noticed while my UnRaid OS was working through the bootup process there were several lines that mentioned Mellanox. So at the least I can say my UnRaid OS is recognizing my Mellanox card and went through some kind of internal setup for it. However, the problem is my Windows RAID5 PC which holds the data I want to migrate over to my UnRaid PC.  The Mellanox card setup on my Windows PC seems to have a problem. 

I think for now I'm trying a different approach which is doing a peer to peer CAT6 cable connection between both PCs using only the LAN ethernet port already included in the two separate motherboards.  I will make a different post to cover this new approach.