Docker pass through AMD igpu

There is no support in the Linux version of Plex for hardware encode or decode using AMD GPUs, therefore there is none in the Docker version. There is in the Windows version but it's provided "as is" and it may not work for everyone. Docker containers can make use of AMD iGPUs if they are written to make use of them. For example, the FoldingAtHome container detects the iGPU in Ryzen APUs but there is no support for OpenCL built into the container so the iGPU can't be used. If OpenCL support were to be added then it could be used. Passing an iGPU through to a VM is problematic. I've never had any success.

2109582607_ScreenShot2021-01-24at00_29_41.png.98f7a8f6beedfa2dc8e306a1487cff22.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks john , so plex basically dont support it ? 

I was hoping to take some load of the CPU whilst transcending on plex but I'll leave as is for now and get a dedicated gpu in the future. Probably get nvidia anyway which plex looks to support.

In terms of the windows version how do you mean? Create a windows vm as the plex server ? And pass it through

This article should answer your questions: https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

There's a version of Plex that runs under Windows. I wasn't suggesting you use it, just explaining that some versions of Plex include some support for AMD GPUs while others don't. The note in the blue box on that page shows what I mean.

You would probably get the results you want by using an Nvidia GPU, simply because they are better supported in Plex. Follow the links on that page to help you choose the card that best suits your needs.

On 1/23/2021 at 6:37 PM, Davidbrierley said:

Just wondering if this is at all possible.

I have tried reading around but cant find a definitive answer .

Looking to pass it through to a docker plex so I can hardware encode.

If its not possible via docker is it possible via VM .

Otherwise I suppose I will need to buy a dedicated gpu

You can pick up something like the NVIDIA 1050TI for cheap and then you will have support through Plex.
Unlike AMD you cannot do unlimited steams but providing you know how to research you can fix that.