PC to PC CAT6 Connection Help

slipstream

Hi All,

My goal is to setup a peer to peer CAT6 cable connection between two PCs using only the LAN ethernet ports already included in each of the motherboards. PC#1 is my UnRaid PC and PC#2 is my Windows RAID5 PC. I need to migrate 20TB of data from the Windows RAID5 PC over to my UnRaid PC. 

Right now in my Windows RAID5 PC I am unable to find an IP for my UnRAID PC eventhough the two PCs are connected together with a CAT6 cable. In short, if I go to the Windows Network Sharing Center I cannot find any UnRaid PC IP address.

My hope is somebody in the community could offer some advice on what is the correct way to link two PCs together. Do I need to use a router between the two PCs? Or is a single CAT6 cable connection between both PCs adequate?  Any help will be welcome.  Thank you.

You should be able to use a direct cable...but since there is no Router (that normally would provide IP-Adresses via DHCP) inside that LAN Segment, you need to configure both network cards manually, with proper IP Address, Netmask and Gateway.

For the same reason, on a straight cable, there is no DNS/WINs resolution and you won*t be able to find the unRaid server on your Explorer under network devices.

You will need to map the unRaid server manually as a computer, using the assigned remote IP.

When you set this up, test if the network works by using a "ping <remote-ip>" in a command shell on either side, first.

The question is, what you want to gain by using a direct cable. Using CAT6 will not necessarily result in a connection (i.e. 2.5G, 5G, 10G) with higher bandwidth unless the NIC hardware on both sides does support that.

So using a 1GBE Switch in between will not introduce more LAG/reduced bandwidth and adding the router into that segment is more easy, providing an easier network setup, including automatic IP assignment.

Edited by Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect,

Thank you for such an excellent explanation. I seriously thought it was going to be a "plug and play" endeavour to mate both of my PCs with a CAT6 cable and enable them to interchange data. But thanks to your post I now see there is a lot more to it.  Fortunately, I stumbled across the excellent YouTube video in the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMMopEiwiEo

According to what is shown in the video what I want to do can be done using two Mellonx cards joined together with a special cable.  I plan to follow the video and post the results I get.  Again, thanks for your help.