Data drive acting like SSD Cache Drive

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

i have one data drive that keeps moving files to my cache drive, with no downloading or moving or copying of files, the ssd cache drive will fill up and stay full?

Chances are that the files belong to a share(s) that has Use Cache=Prefer set and if so this is expected behaviour.  The help built into the GUI has more detail on how the various options for this setting work both with regard to where new files are initially placed and how they might later be moved.

1. Go to Settings and disable Docker and VM Manager. Mover can't move open files so these services must be shut down until your files are moved where they belong.
  2. Go to User Shares and set appdata, domains, and system shares to cache-only. This is so they will be ignored by mover until you get space on cache for them.
  3. Set all other user shares to cache-yes. This is so they will all get moved off cache. Later you can change that setting to cache-no for any that you don't want to use cache.
  4. Go to Main - Array Operation and click Move.

Wait for it to finish then post new diagnostics.

Sorry lost track of this thread since you didn't reply to it for so long.

According to those diagnostics you posted, cache is still 70% full, and there are some additional steps I meant to have you follow after you had run mover but now it is several days later.

Do you still have Docker and VM Manager disabled? According to those diagnostics you do but just wanted to check since it has been most of a day since you posted them.

That looks pretty good. You need to get appdata, domains, system shares moved to cache now.

Go to Settings - Docker and disable. Go to Settings - VM Manager and disable (diagnostics shows that already disabled)

Set appdata, domains, and system shares to cache-prefer.

Go to Main - Array Operation and Move.

Wait for it to finish then post new diagnostics.

18 hours ago, AndreB said:

HI, i have the same problem the cache drive gets full and it is set up to YES=CACHE i use Version: 6.9.0-rc2

I will probably split your post and its replies into its own thread since OP might not be finished with this.

On 1/24/2021 at 3:52 AM, trurl said:

Go to Tools-Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread. 

22 hours ago, AndreB said:

i have two UNRAID and one TrueNAS what would be best setting port for all, two UNRAID with the same port or all with there own port(80 or 443)

Not sure I understand the question. Each NAS has its own IP address, their ports won't conflict whatever they are since they are different IPs.

Now for your diagnostics.

Why do you have 50G docker.img? Have you had problems filling it? 20G should be more than enough, making it larger won't fix anything it will just make it take longer to fill.

Your appdata, domains, and system shares are all on cache as they should be so that is good.

The other shares you have with files on cache are set cache-yes, so those will be moved to the array when mover runs. However, mover can't move open files, and it won't move duplicates.

Are you saying that mover isn't moving files as you expect? Or are you just saying that you are writing so much that you fill up cache?

Yes, i'm writing a lot of files 8TB of files but the cache is 1TB SSD and it tels me that the drive is low on space and the Mover does not kick in to move files before the cache fill up... and then all freeze with the cache full...

i will change my 50GB docker.img to 20GB thanks for the info.

AndreB

Mover runs as scheduled, typically once per day in the middle of the night. There is a plugin to make it run more often based on how full cache is, but that really won't help with the fact that it is impossible to move from cache to slower array as fast as you can write to cache.

Mover is intended for idle time. If you intend to write more than cache can hold then don't use cache for those writes.