Spec Me

Hi all,

First post here so here goes...

Currently have an Asustor 2 bay nas which is about to run out of space so need to upgrade.

Been interested in building my own server and came across Unraid whilst looking at Freenas - and now I just want an Unraid server.

So i need some help with spec:

The server will be used 75% for file storage and back up, the rest of it i want to use for streaming media and then to just 'explore' what i can do with an Unraid server.. play with VMs and VPNs and whatever else it will allow me to do.

Re spec:

I have already in my possession a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro wifi - the mini itx board. It was laying around so i may as well use it.

M-itx may not be ideal but its what have.

I also have a Corsair PSU, i think its 750w, over kill i think but like the mobo its what i have.

What CPU?

I was thinking one of the ryzen 'G' cpus with the onboard graphics, should be sufficent for my needs & it saves me putting a GPU into the single slot on the board.
Would like your feedback on this please.

Hard drives:

What are the go to drives nowadays?

I got some WD 'greens' [nas drives] about 4/5 years ago for the nas i have now, never had a problem with them to this day.

5400 or 7200?

How much RAM is optimal?

Whats the best thing i can put in that single PCIe slot? [card for more drives perhaps?]

Parity & Cache:

what are the reccomendations here?

What size should the cache drive be?

The nas I have now is Raid 1 with 2 TB of storage space.

I plan to re-use that for an offsite back up once unraid server is set up.

Id like to have 10TB of storage space on this unraid server. This is not including the disks for parity and cache.

thanks.

11 hours ago, TheAbz said:

Hi all,

First post here so here goes...

Currently have an Asustor 2 bay nas which is about to run out of space so need to upgrade.

Been interested in building my own server and came across Unraid whilst looking at Freenas - and now I just want an Unraid server.

So i need some help with spec:

The server will be used 75% for file storage and back up, the rest of it i want to use for streaming media and then to just 'explore' what i can do with an Unraid server.. play with VMs and VPNs and whatever else it will allow me to do.

Re spec:

I have already in my possession a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro wifi - the mini itx board. It was laying around so i may as well use it.

M-itx may not be ideal but its what have.

I also have a Corsair PSU, i think its 750w, over kill i think but like the mobo its what i have.

What CPU?

I was thinking one of the ryzen 'G' cpus with the onboard graphics, should be sufficent for my needs & it saves me putting a GPU into the single slot on the board.
Would like your feedback on this please.

Hard drives:

What are the go to drives nowadays?

I got some WD 'greens' [nas drives] about 4/5 years ago for the nas i have now, never had a problem with them to this day.

5400 or 7200?

How much RAM is optimal?

Whats the best thing i can put in that single PCIe slot? [card for more drives perhaps?]

Parity & Cache:

what are the reccomendations here?

What size should the cache drive be?

The nas I have now is Raid 1 with 2 TB of storage space.

I plan to re-use that for an offsite back up once unraid server is set up.

Id like to have 10TB of storage space on this unraid server. This is not including the disks for parity and cache.

thanks.

Intel is recommended - AMD is a little bit tricky for unRAID but yes, we have a lot of useres with AMD-systems...

FYI: No Hardware-Transcoding for Plex on AMD-GPUs.

For the other HW see my signature as an example.

Edited by Zonediver
18 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

Intel is recommended - AMD is a little bit tricky for unRAID but yes, we have a lot of useres with AMD-systems...

FYI: No Hardware-Transcoding for Plex on AMD-GPUs.

For the other HW see my signature as an example.

Thanks for your reply Zonediver.

I suppose I could sell the MOBO then and go Intel for unraid. 

Whats the minimum intel generation i should stick with - Coffee lake .. or newer than that?

12 WD drives eh lol.. nice.

1 hour ago, TheAbz said:

Ok, so i have just found in my box of pc components an i7 -2700k CPU, sandy bridge.

Bit long in the tooth or not?

If you like to use iGPU-Transcding (in the future), an Intel Gen 6 or newer is recommended.

For a basic NAS, the 2700k is working fine - i used an i7-3770 from 2014 to the end of 2020.

FYI: If you like to use dual-parity, a cpu with AVX2-instruction set is needed. In this case at least an Intel 4th generation.

Edited by Zonediver
2 hours ago, Zonediver said:

FYI: If you like to use dual-parity, a cpu with AVX2-instruction set is needed. In this case at least an Intel 4th generation.

Amend that to read "if you use the parity 2 drive slot"

You will still run into the performance difference even if you only have single parity if it happens to be in the 2nd parity position.

• Like 1