No networking (but VMs visible in LAN)

My system loses network access but seems to stay operational. Only a hard reset will get it back to be visible in my LAN - at least for a couple of hours. Strangely, the VMs still appear as online to my router, though it doesn't know what IP adress to give them or how they are connected (doesn't show LAN_1GB like for my other devices). Of course, a hard reset it somewhat undesirable.

I'm not at home to troubleshoot myself. I asked him to log in and export the log and send it. This is what my homemate sent me instead:

x5HHuxu.jpg He said stuff like this was scrolling by. This means the VM visible in my LAN cannot be on because it uses this GPU.

I asked him to reset the system. Now it says

kernel panic -not syncing VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

I've read about RAM being an issue. Also the USB breaking. Sometimes the USB just needed to be redone. Any other insights before I make the long way home to repair this one-month old system?

Overall, I really like Unraid but have had regular issues with it. I'm a person that regularly gets broken hardware from reputable sellers or has stuff break - I don't know if it's me but computer issues and problems seem to gravitate towards me.

Might be important:

• Restarted the server recently from the UI. Upon startup all array drives were in unassigned devices and Unraid didn't recognize them (classified them as new device when adding them). I added the drives back in like they were before and Unraid started rebuilding the parity disk. No data lost but weird.
  • A few days later I added a second stick of RAM. Upon start the cache drive was not assigned. I added it and everything seemed to be fine.

My system:

• Unraid 6.8.3
  • ASRock X399 Taichi, TR 1900X, 2x16GB DDR4-3200, GTX 1650, Adaptec ASR-71605, 4x4 TB HDD, 240GB SSD
15 minutes ago, DesertCookie said:

Restarted the server recently from the UI. Upon startup all array drives were in unassigned devices and Unraid didn't recognize them (classified them as new device when adding them). I added the drives back in like they were before and Unraid started rebuilding the parity disk. No data lost but weird.

This suggests that there was corruption on the flash drive so that Unraid could not read your configuration information.

10 minutes ago, DesertCookie said:

Thank you. I'll order a new flash drive then.

Strange, since it was brand new (Samsung BAR Plus 32GB).

Does not necessarily mean that there is a problem with the flash drive.   You had to do a hard reset so it could be a by-product of that.

Having said that if you do decide to replace it I would suggest go for a USB2 drive (e.g. something like the Kingston Data Traveller SE9) as experience has shown that USB2 drives are less prone to failure than USB3 ones (probably because they tend to run much cooler), and Unraid gets no significant advantage to using a faster drive as after the initial boot it is running from RAM.

• Like 1