[SOLVED] Random reboots - maybe power outages.... maybe something wrong with system?

sysop

Good day Unraid!

I'll start some long transfers at night and wake up to a parity check - only happens when I leave the system unattended it seems. During the day - the system runs fine. No errors.

When I check on the system in the morning - it's doing a parity check and I have a red error message to check Fix Common Errors. FCE says "Your server has detected hardware errors. You should install mcelog via the NerdPack plugin, post your diagnostics and ask for assistance on the unRaid forums. The output of mcelog (if installed) has been logged"

I've attached diagnostics and mcelog syslog.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

tower-diagnostics-20210124-0955.zip syslog.txt

How is your server's BIOS configured to behave in the event of a power failure? There should be a choice either to reboot or to stay powered down when the power is restored. If you set it to stay powered down then you'll know if there has been a power outage. However, the system is telling you that you have a hardware problem. Memory is always a suspect when things crash or behave unpredictably. Have you run a MemTest from the boot menu? Another piece of hardware that is problematic with Unraid and with Linux in general is your Marvell-based SATA controller. Finally, since you're using a 1000-series Ryzen CPU, have you set your BIOS to Typical Current Idle in the Power Supply Idle Control setting? It can be difficult to find. In my case it's at: Advanced > AMD CBS > Zen Common Options > Power Supply Idle Control > Typical Current Idle. If you have it set wrong (to Low Current Idle) you might suffer freezes, but not spontaneous reboots.

Appreciate the response.

Here's the plan:

• I'll make sure bios is set to stay off in the event of a power outage.
  • I did run memtest when I set it up, but I'll do another just in case something else has gone wrong.
  • I just bought that SATA controller for this server - I can get a different one - where can I find recommendations?
  • I'll check the bios's Power Supply Idle setting! Have no idea about what it's set to. (All defaults)

Thank you again for the response. At least now I have something to look into.

• 3 weeks later...
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Random reboots - maybe power outages.... maybe something wrong with system?