10gbe NIC Kernel Panic

jafenske

Hi,

I'm new to Unraid. Its started with wanting to watch movies on while a treadmill last year and now I've got a Unraid server that I would like to install a 10gbe NIC in (slippery slope 😀). I ordered a couple of 10gbe NICs on eBay, a Mellanox Connnectx-2 and a Solarflare sfn5122f. Unfortunately, the Mellanox  Connectx-2 card I ordered was the Infintiband not the SPF+ version (my mistake). Unraid did recognize the Mellanox card in the system devices tab. When I installed the Solarflare card is caused a Kernel panic during boot. When I removed the card, the server went back to working correctly. I went back to eBay and ordered a Mellanox Connectx-3 mcx311a-xcat with the SPF+ ports. Based on what I have read, that card should work out of the box. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on why the Solarflare card doesn't work. Reading other posts, I thought this card would work also.     

I'm running Unraid 6.9-rc2. The server is a i3-10100 with 16gb of DDR4 ram, LSI 9207-8i HBA, 2x1TB NVMe cache drives, and 34TBs of spinning Seagate hard drives. The HBA and the 10gbe NICs are using PCIe 3.0 x16 ports.    

I appreciate any feedback you might have. 

Thanks,

Joe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got a similar problem with a Solarflare card running unRaid 6.9 stable. I can boot the server fine but if i try to make any changes to the network configuration to give it an IP address it goes into kernel panic.

After looking through the log I noticed this....

Mar 6 00:12:24 Voldemort kernel: EDAC amd64: Node 0: DRAM ECC disabled. Mar 6 00:12:24 Voldemort kernel: sfc 0000:29:00.1 (unnamed net_device) (uninitialized): Solarflare NIC detected

Mar 6 00:12:24 Voldemort kernel: sfc 0000:29:00.1 (unnamed net_device) (uninitialized): Part Number : SFN6122F

Mar 6 00:12:24 Voldemort kernel: sfc 0000:29:00.1 (unnamed net_device) (uninitialized): no SR-IOV VFs probed Mar 6 00:12:24 Voldemort kernel: sfc 0000:29:00.1 (unnamed net_device) (uninitialized): no PTP support

Mar 6 00:12:24 Voldemort kernel: sfc 0000:29:00.1 (unnamed net_device) (uninitialized): Insufficient resources for 32 XDP TX queues (6 other channels, max VIs 32)

I'm not sure what it means, maybe somebody has a better idea than me?