Gui mode on physical server

Hi, what settings do i need to enable to be able to access the server on the physical server.  im sure i saw an option but i cant find it.

ive selected gui at the boot menu and i just get a dash on the command line but no gui.  i can still access from another computer on the network but i want to work on the server without it on the network.

10 minutes ago, Genesius10 said:

Hi, what settings do i need to enable to be able to access the server on the physical server.  im sure i saw an option but i cant find it.

ive selected gui at the boot menu and i just get a dash on the command line but no gui.  i can still access from another computer on the network but i want to work on the server without it on the network.

That SHOULD work but some people find that they cannot boot into GUI mode.    I do not think that it has ever been resolved as to why it does not work for everyone.

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

That SHOULD work but some people find that they cannot boot into GUI mode.    I do not think that it has ever been resolved as to why it does not work for everyone.

ah ok.  where is the option in unraid?  im sure there is an option in settings i have to enable but i cant find it

1 hour ago, ados said:

Would you say it could be graphics related?

Probably but if so I have no idea of the detail.  All I know is that I cannot run in GUI mode on my server with any of the recent Unraid releases while earlier v6 releases could run in GUI mode.  Could also be related to changes made with the more recent Linux kernel releases?

Just now, tjb_altf4 said:

Could always try adding the GPU driver, this is easy on 6.9 onwards 

True - certainly something worth trying when I find the time. 

In practice running in 'headless' mode is not an inconvenience to me so it is not something I have invested any significant effort in trying to resolve as my hardware cannot do hardware pass-through so no real interest in regularly running locally on the server.

11 hours ago, itimpi said:

True - certainly something worth trying when I find the time. 

In practice running in 'headless' mode is not an inconvenience to me so it is not something I have invested any significant effort in trying to resolve as my hardware cannot do hardware pass-through so no real interest in regularly running locally on the server.

Exactly, running headless reduces load and allows for remote management. For me it works but I'm Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU, even GPU removed it works so I wonder if its AMD and/or newer Intel as mine is 5+ years old.

Edited by ados
  • 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Squid said:

The same as accessing the UI from a browser

interesting. i am researching meanwhile how to get a USB-LCD to work and how i can add ssh access for non root user. I do not like the idea of having root access for remote administration. For the LCD i would like to check for alternatives, may VGA. But for this i need GUI mode. Well and this simply does not work. My board seems to boot only in UEFI mode and somewhere i read that this maybe the issue.