10gbe between UNRAID and standalone Windows 10 machine

bergePanzer581

Can someone advise if my parts list here will have any hiccups? I don't know a whole lot about SFP+, but what I have read and seen, and looked at on this forum, I think these parts are compatible and will work for my needs. If someone could confirm or deny, I'd greatly appreciate it before I make a purchase mistake. This thing is an all eBay purchase:

Transceiver's: 2x HPE BladeSystem Compatible 455883-B21

PCIe cards: 2x HP NC522SFP
Patch cable: 1M LC UPC to LC UPC Duplex PVC 10G OM3 Multimode Fiber Optic

anyone see any incompatibilities? 🤔

I suggest you should avoid NC522SFP, it may need firmware update ( for Windows / Linux ) and it seems use Qlogic chipset which not common today.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-NC522SFP-Server-Adapter-468332-B21/dp/B002JQH7UO#customerReviews

Recommend Intel X520 or Mellanox ConnectX 2/3, best should be Mellanox but you need got a card with proper ethernet firmware not infiniband. Anyway each have its cons pro and need two. Many member use above, so support info. also best then others.

For the fiber, 1M really short in length, hope you are right with that.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Vr2Io said:

Also if that length is OK, it might be more economical to get a direct attach copper (DAC) instead of modules and fiber.

That's what I used (1m DAC) between my workstation and server with Mellanox X3 cards.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

s

2 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

I suggest you should avoid NC522SFP, it may need firmware update ( for Windows / Linux ) and it seems use Qlogic chipset which not common today.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-NC522SFP-Server-Adapter-468332-B21/dp/B002JQH7UO#customerReviews

Recommend Intel X520 or Mellanox ConnectX 2/3, best should be Mellanox but you need got a card with proper ethernet firmware not infiniband. Anyway each have its cons pro and need two. Many member use above, so support info. also best then others.

Yikes. Ok, I'll avoid that then. 1m is what I need, yes-- 2 at the most. The two boxes sit on a common desk. Thanks for the reply.

24 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

It ship from HongKong/China, those hardware really cheap in those market, anyway search similar product/hardware which not far away from you.

I live in the middle of nowhere. Amazon Prime orders take 2 weeks even to reach me, lol. Hong Kong/China shipping is fine enough for me, despite the wait time. The price is right, too. I bought a Huananzhi x99-TF and a Xeon E5-2678v3 to replace my old rig anyways. Should be here soon. Good times. Thanks again for the replies.