[SOLVED] Can't find parity or data disk.

Hey all.

Have had my unraid server turned off for a little while and have just turned it back on again and now it cant see the parity or data disks.

Going back a step I rearranged the sata cables inside the server as I added a fan and prolly didn't put the cables back in the right way around thus the server didn't initially see the cache drive so I clicked on new config (thinking that would help cause even at that time it didn't see the parity or data drive).

My cache is a 120 gig SSD

The parity and data disk are WD 12TB drives

Running Unraid 6.8.3

Ryzen 1700X CPU

16 Gigs of DDR4

unraid-diagnostics-20210125-1635.zip

5 hours ago, Osmo NZL said:

Hey all.

Have had my unraid server turned off for a little while and have just turned it back on again and now it cant see the parity or data disks.

Going back a step I rearranged the sata cables inside the server as I added a fan and prolly didn't put the cables back in the right way around thus the server didn't initially see the cache drive so I clicked on new config (thinking that would help cause even at that time it didn't see the parity or data drive).

My cache is a 120 gig SSD

The parity and data disk are WD 12TB drives

Running Unraid 6.8.3

Ryzen 1700X CPU

16 Gigs of DDR4

unraid-diagnostics-20210125-1635.zip 51.41 kB · 0 downloads

Using the new config wipes the array but keeps the data as is on the individual drives.

We can have a another member weigh in but at this point you will be rebuilding the array new and will need to ensure you know which drive/s are parity.

1 hour ago, ados said:

Using the new config wipes the array but keeps the data as is on the individual drives.

We can have a another member weigh in but at this point you will be rebuilding the array new and will need to ensure you know which drive/s are parity.

Yeah that's the tricky part (knowing which drive was parity) as both my parity drive and data drive are exactly the same (both WD white label 12 TB drives that I shucked).

9 minutes ago, Osmo NZL said:

Yeah that's the tricky part (knowing which drive was parity) as both my parity drive and data drive are exactly the same (both WD white label 12 TB drives that I shucked).

Not really, parity drives have no file system and should show empty.

UNRAID does not stripe so files should be viewable individually for each drive.

13 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can't, first need to fix that, if they are shucked drives it could be the 3.3v SATA pin issue, make sure you google that.

Oh ding dong me, I forgot about that!

Previously I used a molex to sata cable to power those drives for that very reason but I forgot to put that cable back in, no wonder the server cant see them!

Right, I'm at work now so I will put that cable back in there tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the reminder JorgeB!

• Like 1
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Can't find parity or data disk.
On 1/26/2021 at 12:11 PM, trurl said:

Did you figure out which drive should be parity?

I just choose one drive randomly when assigning the drive from the drop down tab. I figured I had a 50/50 chance and to my luck everything is working sweet as.

Did a parity check (took just over 20 hours) to make sure everything was good and it came back with zero errors.

4 hours ago, Osmo NZL said:

50/50 chance

If you only had one data disk then you really had 100% chance since in that special case, the parity calculation results in a mirror.

If you ever have this situation again and you have more than one data disk, be sure to ask for help. We can help you identify the parity disk. If you assign a data disk to the parity slot it will be overwritten with parity.