Video issue on Unraid

I'm currently using Unraid 6.8.2.

The system has just been installed and I'm having some issues with videos, not video output but video playing. I'm using the system with a Windows 10 VM as my daily driver and as a plex server. My CPU is an i5 9400f and I have 32GB of ram.

The problem is that when I try to play videos they lag, for example in the VM on youtube everything at 1080p or over keeps lagging, it doesn't buffer, the audio stops for a few seconds while the video is still playing and then the video stops to let the audio catch up. (I'm sure it isn't my internet connection, all the other devices work fine and download speeds are fine too). All the other applications run perfectly fine, even intensive ones so the pass through is done properly.

On the plex server everything at 4K doesn't even load, is says that  the computer isn't powerful enough even if it used to work last month before I reinstalled it and it worked as soon as I installed it. Even with the VM off apparently it still isn't powerful enough. The few 4K videos that do work are super laggy even if it isn't transcoding. The funny thing is that the CPU and RAM never get maxed out, the most I've seen the cpu while streaming at 4k was 15% with VM off.

I just don't understand, there is a serious bottleneck but it's a software problem, not hardware. I've asked on reddit a couple times but nobody was able to help, I really hope someone can help me solve this issue.

2 hours ago, Andrea Nizzola said:

I'm currently using Unraid 6.8.2.

The system has just been installed and I'm having some issues with videos, not video output but video playing. I'm using the system with a Windows 10 VM as my daily driver and as a plex server. My CPU is an i5 9400f and I have 32GB of ram.

The problem is that when I try to play videos they lag, for example in the VM on youtube everything at 1080p or over keeps lagging, it doesn't buffer, the audio stops for a few seconds while the video is still playing and then the video stops to let the audio catch up. (I'm sure it isn't my internet connection, all the other devices work fine and download speeds are fine too). All the other applications run perfectly fine, even intensive ones so the pass through is done properly.

On the plex server everything at 4K doesn't even load, is says that  the computer isn't powerful enough even if it used to work last month before I reinstalled it and it worked as soon as I installed it. Even with the VM off apparently it still isn't powerful enough. The few 4K videos that do work are super laggy even if it isn't transcoding. The funny thing is that the CPU and RAM never get maxed out, the most I've seen the cpu while streaming at 4k was 15% with VM off.

I just don't understand, there is a serious bottleneck but it's a software problem, not hardware. I've asked on reddit a couple times but nobody was able to help, I really hope someone can help me solve this issue.

Welcome to the UNRAID forum.

For me to help you best can you please provide:

• Your full hardware specs and logs for me and others
  • What did you reinstall?

Have you reviewed your VM configuration for quick issues like cache drive missed or CPU pinning?

Can you conduct a general performance test using a docker app that will push the system.

Edited by ados
typos