Hello everyone and a question about how and where to post a question.

TimV

I've used Unix for over 30 years (and MSDOS/Windows for even longer) so I'm excited to having a base that is not Windows based.  I find this to be vaguely similar to AIX LVM and Netezza.

I'm building a Plex platform for my huge collection of DVD's/Blurays and home movies.   I got tired of having multitudes of external USB drives attached to an old Win7 system I built 10+ years ago.  I like the ability to have a parity drive to help with data integrity.  

My Question:

So far,  I've found all the things I've been using such as MakeMKV and Filebot but I'm missing one thing...  a metadata utility.   On Window's,  I've been using Meta-X by Dan Hinsey which suits my purposes perfectly.  I've done some searches in Community Applications for something related to metadata processing but haven't found anything.  What group is best for asking if something exists?   

Thanks,

Tim.

A question like that I would probably throw in the Lounge... someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the question you didn't ask but want to ask --- I'd say that it depends on what you're using to watch the videos, i.e. what kind of metadata you need.

According to the website it says that Meta-X "can select from multiple entries to get just the look you want, then quickly write the tags into the file so that it shows up in iTunes, Apple TV or whatever media play you use, just like it would if you had purchased the movie from iTunes." 

Not sure what your end player is (Apple TV, Chromecast, FireTV, Kodi, Plex, Emby, etc etc etc etc)... so it could depend on what format your metadata needs to be in.  If it's literally written into the file then I'm not sure if anything like that exists, at least not that I'm familiar with, as everything I use creates nfo/jpg files as the metadata.