Windows file transfers at full gigabit speed but other "backup tools" only transfers at 30~MB

SelfSD

Hi guys!

I'm currently on 6.9.0-RC2 and I've been trying out a couple of different backup tools in hopes of getting faster backup speeds, but all of them (AllwaySync, GoodSync, Free File Sync) were limited to about 30 MB/s copying to and from the array.

Now the funny part is that I can run 3 backup sets in parallel to utilize my network fully, but that doesn't help much for single files that are rather large.

Copying files to and from my array using Windows explorer does so at full gigabit speeds. Win10 Pro 20H2.

What could cause this? No single core on my computer or the server are maxed out during transfers.

I have done some reading before posting this about SMB tuning and other performance tweaks. I have only enabled Direct IO in Global Share Settings which did not improve the transfer speeds in any of those programs.

Enabling SMB Multi Channel did not help either.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...