[Support] PTRFRLL - Docker images

1 hour ago, mwhite22 said:

im using trex miner and i mined overnight and i looked up the wallet address on ethermine and it shows ive never been seen and basically havent mined at all. any suggestions?

Restart the container and check your log. When the container starts, it shows the wallet address and URL of the pool you are connecting to, make sure those are correct.

3 hours ago, jaybee said:

I tried this trex docker on a new Nvidia 3070 card and it gave the following error:

Can't start miner, Geforce RTX 3070 (CC 8.6) is not supported by CUDA v10 build, use T-Rex compiled with CUDA v11.1 or newer

I believe this is a current limitation due to the Nvidia driver version installed by Unraid (at least for Unraid 6.8.3). When I run nvidia-smi I show driver version 440.59 and CUDA version 10.2. There is a t-rex version built for CUDA 11.1 but I can't use it until the Unraid Nvidia driver is updated.

If you used the linuxserver nvidia plugin (before it was pulled) then yes, you are on 440.59.

If you use the prebuilt kernel files from here:

you can update the 6.8.3 nvidia drivers to CUDA 11. (I'm on 6.8.3 and on driver 450.55 - CUDA 11.0) - I see its now on 455.45.01

Usual disclaimers apply on if you think its worth playing about - i did as I needed it further up to date for plex transcoding.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Flubster said:

If you used the linuxserver nvidia plugin (before it was pulled) then yes, you are on 440.59.

If you use the prebuilt kernel files from here:

you can update the 6.8.3 nvidia drivers to CUDA 11. (I'm on 6.8.3 and on driver 450.55 - CUDA 11.0) - I see its now on 455.45.01

Usual disclaimers apply on if you think its worth playing about - i did as I needed it further up to date for plex transcoding.

Dave

Thanks for the explanation. I should probably update my drivers....

I wonder how I can best support both versions of CUDA with one t-rex docker...

Well I simply downloaded the latest trex version that shows in CA listed and it claims on docker status to be running "latest" version. See below logs. Should I be trying to source a newer docker version of trex from elsewhere then?

My unraid server is running version 6.9.0rc2 and nvidia-smi shows this:

NVIDIA-SMI 455.45.01    Driver Version: 455.45.01    CUDA Version: 11.1

But when I start trex it shows:

20210218 23:58:10 T-Rex NVIDIA GPU miner v0.19.11 - [CUDA v10.0 | Linux]

17 hours ago, jaybee said:

Well I simply downloaded the latest trex version that shows in CA listed and it claims on docker status to be running "latest" version. See below logs. Should I be trying to source a newer docker version of trex from elsewhere then?

My unraid server is running version 6.9.0rc2 and nvidia-smi shows this:

NVIDIA-SMI 455.45.01    Driver Version: 455.45.01    CUDA Version: 11.1

But when I start trex it shows:

20210218 23:58:10 T-Rex NVIDIA GPU miner v0.19.11 - [CUDA v10.0 | Linux]

Can you try updating the docker to pull the cuda11 tag like so:

ptrfrll/nv-docker-trex:cuda11

2021-02-19 10_17_28-Window.png

• Thanks 1
On 2/19/2021 at 5:18 PM, PTRFRLL said:

Can you try updating the docker to pull the cuda11 tag like so:

ptrfrll/nv-docker-trex:cuda11

2021-02-19 10_17_28-Window.png

Thanks! Tried that and all working now. I take it there is no option to adjust clocks or power anyway?

I find tht the mh/s for me is 52mh/s when mining ethereum on a 3070. Apparently my card should do 60mh/s.

Is using it in this way via a docker pretty much the same as bare metal performance? I take it there would be no benefit of running this inside a Windows VM with the GPU passed through instead? I know this defeats the purpose of the docker but I'm just hypothesizing purely on performance hash rate. :)

Nice work.

Edited by jaybee
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, jaybee said:

I take it there is no option to adjust clocks or power anyway?

You can adjust the power limit using nvidia-smi. As for under/overclocking, the command line utility, nvidia-settings, throws an error when I try to run it, I believe its due to how Unraid runs headless.

3 hours ago, jaybee said:

Is using it in this way via a docker pretty much the same as bare metal performance? I take it there would be no benefit of running this inside a Windows VM with the GPU passed through instead?

If you wanted to maximize your hash rate, it would be better to pass it through to a VM as you could overclock the memory. I have a 3070 on a different, non-Unraid machine getting 61 Mh/s. The main reason for this Docker was so that you could continue to use the GPU in dockers like Plex for transcoding but also use it to mine at the same time. If you're not utilizing the GPU in other Dockers, the VM route is the way to go.

On 2/20/2021 at 5:19 PM, jaybee said:

Yes I understand. I have not experimented with using plex on the same GPU at the same time as mining. I wonder if the 3070 would be handle a couple of streams and still mine at the same time. I guess I will have to do some testing.

My p2000 does it flawlessly. Mining doesn't touch the encode/decode at all. This docker is great for something like the p2000 just sitting there waiting for streams...or unmanic conversions.  So your 3070 shouldn't even break a sweat. Only thing I wish for is like you said, adjust clocks. My 2070 would be great, but without under locking it gets too damn hot so...a VM it is. Be nice to use it for transcode and drop the p2000 out. Too bad unraid doesn't have amdgpu plugin. My rx580 runs cold no matter what I throw at it.

Edited by letrain
6 hours ago, letrain said:

My p2000 does it flawlessly. Mining doesn't touch the encode/decode at all. This docker is great for something like the p2000 just sitting there waiting for streams...or unmanic conversions.  So your 3070 shouldn't even break a sweat. Only thing I wish for is like you said, adjust clocks. My 2070 would be great, but without under locking it gets too damn hot so...a VM it is. Be nice to use it for transcode and drop the p2000 out. Too bad unraid doesn't have amdgpu plugin. My rx580 runs cold no matter what I throw at it.

Interesting, on the contrary, I have an AMD RX 590 which is a toasty, loud beast in another PC I have. When mining it gets up to 80-85c on stock clocks. I understand that the 590 is actually somewhat different to the 580 despite that it seems they would be very similar. I believe there was an architecture change between them. It mines in the UK here at approximately £2.50 profit a day at the time of writing this. 

My 3070 when I have monitored it in the trex webgui during mining, never seems to go above 33% fan speed and a temp of 61c. This is running in my loft currently though which is cold. Perhaps I may try plex streams at the same time to see what happens.

28 minutes ago, jimmyw said:

I've got the nvidia driver working for Tdarr but it can't hash with trex miner not sure what the issue is it looks like it's maxing my gpu when the docker container is running but no hashrate is showing in the webgui.

What GPU are you using and what algorithm for mining? Can you post your logs?

If you have not updated to Unraid 6.9.0 yet, the latest t-rex docker update will most likely not work for you. To fix, just add the cuda 10 docker tag detailed in the 1st post:

ptrfrll/nv-docker-trex:cuda10

Edited by PTRFRLL
Spelling

The T-Rex Docker and the Nvidia Driver Plugin have been working for weeks now and are all great.

But other than controlling the power limit. I can't change any of the GPU clock speeds with nvidia-smi.

It's just one GPU but would still be a 10% increase in hash rate. 

I am using one RTX 3090.

14 hours ago, BTPBen said:

I am trying to get mining started I keep getting the error below:

20210310 01:19:20 Using protocol: stratum3.
20210310 01:19:20 Extranonce is set to: a9
20210310 01:19:20 Authorizing...
20210310 01:19:20 WARN: failed to stratum2-authorize on kp.unmineable.com:3333: {

config -backup.json 1.35 kB · 2 downloads

I believe for Unmineable, your username needs to use this format: ASSET:Address.Worker, so using ADA as an example, you'd set your username to:

ADA:D6vEw4k7FKmw99L82QgaG1nud9woBbDURw.BenStark

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Masamoto said:

The T-Rex Docker and the Nvidia Driver Plugin have been working for weeks now and are all great.

But other than controlling the power limit. I can't change any of the GPU clock speeds with nvidia-smi.

It's just one GPU but would still be a 10% increase in hash rate. 

I am using one RTX 3090.

Unfortunately, that's a limitation of how the Nvidia drivers are integrated in Unraid. Normally, you could use the nvidia-settings CLI but that errors out as Unraid runs headless.

You might try tweaking the memory-tweak flag for T-rex but I'm not sure how much that will help

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PTRFRLL said:

I believe for Unmineable, your username needs to use this format: ASSET:Address.Worker, so using ADA as an example, you'd set your username to:

ADA:D6vEw4k7FKmw99L82QgaG1nud9woBbDURw.BenStark

Thank you sir, that solved my issue. 

• Like 1